Acer 4k CG437K_S monitor can't run 1080p games, but other 4k monitor can?

Liva
Liva Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 7 in Monitors

I got an Acer CG437K_S and I can't run any games below 4k resolution, like some old games that don't support 4k. When I launch the game, it appears for a few seconds, then black screen, then I'm kicked back to my desktop with the game minimized. If I try to reopen the game from the taskbar, the same thing happens. Opens normally for a few seconds, then black screen, then kicked back to desktop.

This DOES NOT happen with my previous 4k monitor, an LG32.

I have tried updating/reinstalling GPU drivers, DPI compatibility settings, windows version compatibility settings, running game as admin, and reinstalling Windows.

Anyone know what the issue is/how to fix it?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer

These are your Acer CG437KS monitor standard timing table as shown in its service guide so you can get to lower resolutions as shown below for those games. Goos luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,418 Pathfinder

The issue you're experiencing with your Acer CG437K_S monitor, where games below 4K resolution lead to a black screen and minimize to the desktop, is likely related to how the monitor handles resolution changes. Here are some potential solutions:

1. Resolution Settings: Ensure that your desktop resolution is set to 4K before launching the game. Some older games may struggle if the desktop resolution is lower than the game's resolution.
    2. Compatibility Mode: Right-click on the game executable, go to Properties > Compatibility, and try running the game in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows.
    3. Windowed Mode: If possible, run the game in windowed mode instead of fullscreen. This can sometimes bypass issues related to resolution switching.
    4. Graphics Card Settings: Access your GPU control panel (NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Radeon Settings) and check for any settings related to display scaling or resolution. You might want to disable any scaling options that could interfere with the game.
    5. Monitor Settings: Check the monitor's settings for any options related to input resolution or scaling. Some monitors have settings that can affect how they handle non-native resolutions.
    6. Driver Updates: While you've mentioned updating GPU drivers, ensure that both your graphics card and monitor firmware are fully updated.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Liva

Tinkerer

Thanks for your suggestions. The issue appears to be caused by Windows display scaling. I ran through your other suggestions as well, noted below. Do you know of any alternative, since it's pretty much mandatory for very large monitors.

1. Made sure desktop resolution is 4k
    2. Tried all compatibility settings from WinXP to Win8 (the games in question were all released after XP)
    3. Can you advise how to do this? I only see "Maximized, "Normal", and "Minimized" but no windowed mode.
    4. Setting display scaling to 100% fixes the issue, but is unfeasible since it's a 43" monitor and everything looks tiny (text is unreadable) at 100%. Do you know an alternative to Windows display scaling?
    5. I wasn't able to find anything aside from auto input selection. Turning it off didn't work.
    6. The monitor doesn't seem to have firmware updates. The "latest" version on Acer's website is 1.0 and was released at the same time as the monitor.

• GAMING6698

Override High DPI Scaling

For each game executable, right-click the game shortcut, select Properties, then go to the Compatibility tab. Check the option labeled Override high DPI scaling behavior and set it to Application. This can help the game manage its own scaling instead of relying on Windows.

Use System-Level Supersampling

If you're using an NVIDIA GPU, enable Dynamic Super Resolution in the NVIDIA Control Panel. This feature allows games to run at a higher resolution and downscale, improving visual quality without needing to run at native 4K resolution.

• Liva

Tinkerer

Thanks for the reply. I had already tried all the settings in the Compatibility tab (after right clicking a program and selecting Properties), including changing high DPI settings and specifically letting the application manage scaling.

As for the Nvidia DSR option, enabling it seems to make things worse. There was one game (Diablo 1) which previously worked (despite running at 800x600), but enabling DSR causes it to experience the same issues as the other games. Disabling DSR again seems to fix Diablo 1 (the other games remain broken, either with DSR enabled or disabled).

I feel like this is a useful clue, but I'm not sure how to make use of it. Have you got any ideas?

• GAMING6698

It appears the issue with your Acer CG437K_S monitor is specifically related to running older games at resolutions below 4K. The monitor seems to have trouble handling the resolution change, causing the games to black screen and minimize.A few potential solutions to try:

1. Use Borderless Windowed Mode: If the games support borderless windowed mode, try running them in that instead of fullscreen. This may prevent the resolution change issues.
    2. Disable Hardware Acceleration: In some cases, disabling hardware acceleration in the game's settings or in Windows can help. Right-click the game exe, go to Properties > Compatibility and check "Disable fullscreen optimizations".
    3. Adjust Nvidia Control Panel Settings: In the Nvidia Control Panel, under "Manage 3D Settings", try enabling "Low Latency Mode" and setting it to "Ultra". Also, ensure "Vertical Sync" is set to "Fast" or "Adaptive". These settings can sometimes help with compatibility.
    4. Use a Third-Party Utility: Tools like DisplayFusion allow more granular control over display scaling and resolution changes. You can try setting up a profile for the specific games that forces a resolution change without using Windows scaling.
    5. Adjust Monitor Scaling: In the monitor's on-screen display (OSD) menu, look for a setting to adjust how the monitor handles non-native resolutions. Try different scaling options like "Aspect Ratio" or "1:1" to see if that helps.

If none of these work, the issue may be specific to your monitor model. Contact seller ask for return and replacement. If you still get same issue with new one then you can either go ahead start play new games or return monitor.