Touchpad no longer works in Chromebook CB514-2HT-K0FZ

AKMYR
AKMYR Member Posts: 6 New User
edited September 6 in Chromebooks

I purchased a new Chromebook 514. Within about 20 minutes of use the touchpad stopped working. It is not even visible under Devices. If I use a USB mouse it works and the touchpad setting is visible under devices. But once the USB is removed the touchpad does not work. I have performed a wash. Read a few things to try with Search + Shift + P after enabling a function in chrome for short-cuts, but nothing is working. Welcome any suggests before I need to return it. 20 min is not acceptable for a new chromebook to have something like this stop.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• wibble
    wibble Member Posts: 4 New User
    Answer ✓

The chromebook update that borked everything for the 2 units was yesterday (2024-09-04 ) Australian Eastern time. Was hoping to drive some telescopes with an Android app tonight, which only runs on the ARM version of chromebooks.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,393 Trailblazer
    edited September 5

It seems like the laptop need s its touchpad replaced, send it back to either the people you bought the Chromebook 514 from to Acer Tech Support and get the laptop touchpad replaced or its cable. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

These are the parts that need replacing

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• wibble

I think it's something to do with the latest chromebook update. I have 2 chromebook 514 units - one I use all the time, the other is kept as a backup & powered off and only pulled out to install updates every now and then. The frequently used one had its trackpad stop working after a chromeos update, so I pulled out the spare to use it in its place, and updated it. Lo & behold, its trackpad died too. Acer, you need to get on Google's case & fix this. I use these to drive various instruments that only have Android apps for control. Pls fix.

• wibble
    Answer ✓

The chromebook update that borked everything for the 2 units was yesterday (2024-09-04 ) Australian Eastern time. Was hoping to drive some telescopes with an Android app tonight, which only runs on the ARM version of chromebooks.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,356 Trailblazer

Which Chromebook 514 model do you have? There have been at least five different Chromebook 514 base models, plus another five Chromebook Spin 514 base models, over the last few years. Each is a different design, so each could have a different root cause for your issue. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like Cx514-xxx-xxxx.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • samiss
    samiss Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey, that’s really frustrating! If your touchpad’s not working and isn’t even showing up when you unplug the USB mouse, it might be a hardware issue. Since you’ve already tried some shortcuts and settings without luck, I’d suggest checking for any system updates or doing a hard reset. If it’s still acting up, it might be best to return it since a new Chromebook shouldn’t have these problems so soon.

• AKMYR
    edited September 5

I received this on 4th Sept and of course it worked for setup and once the updates finished it stopped.

Model is CB514-2HT-K0FZ. It is very strange — plug in my Logitech mouse USB and it shows Touchpad under device. Take the USB out and it disappears. I plan to send it back however my preference is to fix it.

• wibble

Of my 2 Chromebook 514s, they are both CB514-2H, Model number N21Q5. I blame the last ChromeOS update (128.0.6613.118) - it doesn't detect the touchpad on both of them. The touchscreen stuff still works.

• AKMYR
    edited September 6

Yes. Based on your experience I will hold onto the Chromebook for a few days to see if an update will resolve this issue. Touch Screen works fine. Attaching a mouse works fine but not the point. Touchpad is not there. Model is N21Q5. 

• AKMYR
    edited September 6

model number

• AKMYR

Confirm 128.0.6613.118 — the Chrome OS version

• noamp
    noamp Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 12

My daughter's Acer Spin 311 CP311-3H-K3WL was just updated to 128.0.6613.133, and is experiencing the same thing. the touchpad just randomly stops working (and when it does, it's gone from the settings, too). A hard reboot (hold left arrow, refresh, and power for 10 seconds) brings it back - until it disappears again. How do we report this bug so google can fix it ASAP?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,356 Trailblazer

Google has support communities similar to this one for Chromebooks…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 500

Perform a hard reset.
    Make sure there is no dust or dirt on the touchpad.
    Press the Esc key several times.
    Drumroll your fingers on the touchpad for ten seconds.
    Turn your Chromebook off, then back on again.
    If you have enabled the flag '#ash-debug-shortcuts' then you can toggle the touchpad ON/OFF using the key-combo: Shift + Search + P

If you have more than one account on your Chromebook, delete the account that has problems with the touchpad, then re-add the account.

—————————————————————————-

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful.

• noamp
    noamp Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the suggestions, the only one that had seemed to work (but today I'm hearing that even that isn't working) is the hard reset (left arrow, refresh, power for 10 seconds).

As I said in my comment, the touchpad doesn't appear in the settings, so the Shift-Search-P trick can't turn on what isn't there. There is something in this latest build that is having trouble finding the touchpad hardware (driver crashing, perhaps?).

• wibble

I switched over to the dev channel for updates (brave, I know) and at version 130.0.6712.0, the trackpad now works. Will switch back over to stable once someone confirms the fix has made its way over there.

• actas62
    actas62 Member Posts: 1 New User

I updated to 128.0.6613.133 on my Chromebook 514 and now my touchpad does not work.