NO POWER and got hot, wouldn't turn on after I closed the lid after gaming on Nitro 5 An 517-55

Darkrott
Darkrott Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited September 2 in Nitro Gaming

My laptop got hot possibly and wouldn't turn on after I closed the lid after gaming. No power lights. None. Charger is tested good and the laptop won't get power with battery unplugged. Not sure if it would anyway. Battery slowly discharged and I would appreciate specific knowledge of how to test that, and the power rail of that area. I've tried the drainage tips and cmos resets. All of them. Long story short, probably a power rail capacitor or in that area. My question is, where should I look specifically , and what should I look for in general? Pics of my board included, no burn marks or smells and visually clean. Schematics would be appreciated. And no, I can't afford a professional, tech tips only please!!! Thanks

[Edited the thread to add issue detail to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Start by testing the two mosats at the DC_IN port where I've circled the mainboard of your AN517-54 laptop in the caption below, as and if these mosats are shorted the power rail of the laptop is dead and they need changing, if they are not then this is where you start as the rest of the power rail diagnoses is very involucel, so for more in depth detail have a look at this repair of an Acer Nitro 5, dead no power as this really goes through everything that you should diagnose on a laptop that has no power, as this technician is one of the best and he really know his stuff, so if all this is to much for you 😀 then I suggest that you take your latop to an experienced technitian and DO NOT try to fix it yourself as you will cause more damage than fix anything. Good luck and hope this helps you out

Nitro AN517-54 DC_IN port

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓

Start by testing the two mosats at the DC_IN port where I've circled the mainboard of your AN517-54 laptop in the caption below, as and if these mosats are shorted the power rail of the laptop is dead and they need changing, if they are not then this is where you start as the rest of the power rail diagnoses is very involucel, so for more in depth detail have a look at this repair of an Acer Nitro 5, dead no power as this really goes through everything that you should diagnose on a laptop that has no power, as this technician is one of the best and he really know his stuff, so if all this is to much for you 😀 then I suggest that you take your latop to an experienced technitian and DO NOT try to fix it yourself as you will cause more damage than fix anything. Good luck and hope this helps you out

Nitro AN517-54 DC_IN port

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Darkrott

Tinkerer

edited September 4

Is it possible this could be bad (uf3)? Residue and readings are off. Plug out( .793 no beep white dot pin), plug in( .162 and constant beep). And yeah, I've seen a lot of that guys videos...that's crazy!!!!

• StevenGen

No, you are at a totally different part of the laptops mobo and near the RJ45 port, you need to start and follow the DC_IN port trace (where I've shown below in the caption) and those two mosats as that is where the mobo power rail circuits start, so check all mosats and capacitors out and follow that main rail, also check what the main rail voltage is near the battery mosats as they should be around 19V, I suggest that you follow Sorin's youtube video guide and how he checks a power rail if its shorted, as he goes through that in detail on some of his videos! Also and if you can't diagnose the problem, I suggest that you take your laptop to an experienced technician who knows exactly what to do and look for to fix your laptop, as you could do more damage than fix anything. Good luck anyway and hope I've helped you out.

This is the mobo of the AN517-54 laptop for your information

• Darkrott

Tinkerer

My board is a 55, not a 54, very different. Tips are appreciated, and I'm using my laptop to learn the basics of power rails. I wouldn't fix it if I didn't feel comfortable. Was hoping for a simple capacitor. Figured I'd learn before the professional repaired it.

• Hello! When you measure with the multimeter on the 19 volt line, does the voltage oscillate on the multimeter? If the voltage oscillates and does not remain constant, probably the two MOSFETs (usually channel n) that precede the charging circuit are holding the short! If the 19 volts are constant, check if there are voltages of 3v and 5v in some power coil!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • StevenGen

Sorry and as yes the AN517-55 mobo is different to the AN517-54 mobo (got it wrong) but you still have to start at the DC_IN port and follow the mobo trace rail to the top at the power regulating mosats if you are getting 19V, I suggest that you look and follow that Sorin guys guide on You Tube at Electronics Repair School as he explains it in detail, as he has allot of videos on this, so you can learn prex=cisely what to do. Good luck

Nitro AN517-55 mobo

• Darkrott

Tinkerer

• I agree with you! But it is important to point out that if the 19 volt voltage is oscillating on the multimeter, it indicates that there is a short in the 19 volt line and that the two mosfets that precede the internal charging circuit are holding the short!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Have you looked for the main board schematic diagram?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Darkrott

Tinkerer

I've narrowed it to this area(red IR5 bad ) in the battery section, possibly a capacitor. My question is where do the battery charging rail(red IR5) and normal operating and battery lights (blue IR5 good)

connect/split? You know what I mean? What direction from DC plug do they split, or does the power rail go to the battery first(obviously) then to the operating lights section? It would go there with the battery unplugged too. I'm looking for the (one fix to fix them all) senario.

• Connect the power adapter and then check with the multimeter if any direct voltage reaches any of these coils:

The 3V and 5V must reach any of these coils, which are primary voltages, generated by the primary PWM!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• I recommend sending the computer in if you have difficulty fixing it. Now, if you have knowledge of electronics, start again from the beginning and look for coils pl101, pl102 and pl103 and see if it is reaching 19 volts. If it is reaching 19 volts, check if this voltage is stable or fluctuating!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• If the 19 volt voltage is ok, look for PL301 and check if the 3 volts primary are appearing. Then, look for the PL501 coil and report if the 5 volts primary are appearing. Then look for the PL1801 coil and check if 1.8 volts primary are arriving! Also look for the PL551 coil and check if another 5 volts primary are arriving. These primary voltages are important, because they are responsible for the motherboard to boot!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• It is important to highlight that these voltages must appear on both sides of the coils!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• This component is the battery's internal circuit, responsible for charging: PUB1

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Darkrott

Tinkerer

The red IR5 one is dead. The others are not. I'll check the others like you mentioned. I traced the 19v from the DC input, found a few 17v and 15v near the input, are the 17v normal?

• Let's take it easy! In the pl301 coil, 3 volts are not appearing, correct? Next to this pl301 coil, there is a primary pwm PU301. check if this primary pwm is receiving 19 volts at the input and if it is releasing 3 volts at the output.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Check that 19 volts are appearing on pins 2, 3 and 4. Then, check that 3 volts are appearing on pins 15 and 16. This 3 volt voltage must appear when you connect the power adapter or battery, as it is a primary voltage, even if the computer is not turned on!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer