Acer Aspire 5 Microphone Not Working, f4 indicator permanently on even when pressed

yeet7222
yeet7222 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi. I have an acer aspire 5 laptop, and ever since i got it, the microphone worked perfectly. But all of a sudden, the microphone isnt showing up as an input on discord for example, and is not working or showing up. the microphone indicator on the f4 button is on, and even when pressed solely or with fn, it stays on. can anyone help?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,889 Trailblazer

What is the exact Aspire 5 laptop model number, its written on the back of a sticker on your latop, it should be A515-XX, as that will help us to give you the correct microphone part number for your Aspire 5 if you want to replace the mic with a new one.

To check if your mic is detected do this > Right-click on the Start button, run the Device Manager, and expand the Audio Inputs and Outputs category. Under the same, you will find the required driver for the mic array. If the microphone Array like in caption below is not showing, the microphone in your Aspire 5 laptop is faulty, and it probably needs replacing, as windows allocates the mic drivers automatically for your laptop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• yeet7222
    yeet7222 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hello. Mine is the Aspire 5 15 (A515). I previously always had that microphone show up, the microphone Array in your picture. But like i said all of sudden it is gone. Also, just today the light on the microphone indicator was off but then i pressed it and it turned back on, without me being able to turn it off again without shutting off the whole laptop. And, I tried using my airpods as a mic, which has always worked in the past, but that microphone options didnt show up at all either. I can send some screenshots of what is happening.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,889 Trailblazer

Those signs that you are having are that your microphone is faulty and needs to be replaced in your A515-XXX 😀as you still haven't told us which exact Aspire A515-XX model laptop you have, as there are thousands of Aspire A515.

Usually on an Aspire 515-XX laptop there are two microphones at the top and its a part of the camera at #2 in the caption below that is from the Aspire 515-58M as an example,

If you don't want to replace the internal microphone, get an externa microphone and use that as its a big job to replace a microphone in a laptop as you need to take the screen bezel apart and get all the wires out and virtually take the laptop apart. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍