Nitro V 16 ANV16-41 battery draining plugged in with 230-watts adapter

lukassr
lukassr Member Posts: 4 New User
edited September 3 in Nitro Gaming

I have a Nitro V 16 ANV16-41 and I struggle with battery draining when gaming and plugged in. I read in this thread (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/711390/acer-nitro-v-16-battery-draining-while-plugged-in) that it was because the original adapter (135W) is not enough for the consumption when gaming.

So I bought a 230W adapter, but I still have battery draining. I don't know what to do. I can't play more than 3 hours before Nitrosense change to Eco Mode. What should I do to prevent the draining? I'm considering retuning it before reaching my 30-days 😔

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,744 Trailblazer
    edited September 1

I know I recommended in that thread above a 180-Watt adapter, bring the laptop to Acer Services in your country as there may be other power issues. Did you uninstall all the bloatware and 3rd-party programs and are the background processes not exceeding 75 in Task Manager Processes?

• CHADSHAWAN
    CHADSHAWAN Member Posts: 2 New User

You have the same problem as me. How did you solve it? I still can't solve it like you.

• lukassr
    lukassr Member Posts: 4 New User

After a lot of research: in heavy use, the laptop needs more power, so it compensates consuming the battery. It is a normal behaviour that allow the system to perform better when lacking power. It's called Hybrid Power (NOS) feature. This "problem" happens in other laptops (Lenovo, MSI, ASUS, you name it).

With the Nitro V 16 ANV16, the original 135W adapter is too short, and the draining is crazy fast. With the 230W it is slower, between 5 - 10% per hour, but still happening. And as I understand, 230W is the max power the laptop can take, so the only option left is decrease the graphic settings, killing processes, decrease the number of peripherals, decrease the max % CPU, etc.

After contacted customer support, they said it was not normal and should take it to tech service, but I know it is not a hardware failure.

I think Acer should put a decent adapter in the Nitro, and I also think they should check the max power the laptop can take. I decided to return it and try with another laptop. But this time, I will double check the adapter before buying. With these new RTX 4 GPUs, anything below 200W is not enough.

• Hadikhan
    Hadikhan Member Posts: 2 New User

This is a very serious problem and we need clarification. I know the small 130 w charger is not enough to power the laptop in gaming and this causes battery drain even though the laptop is connected to the charger. I was hoping to fix this by using a 230 w charger (a pain in the neck and another $100 added costs because Acer tried to save money). If even a 230 w charger can not satisfy the power requirement, this laptop model can have an inherent fatal design flaw. I can not imagine not being able to game on this machine for more than a few hours because of this, just like someone reported here. I wonder what Acer will do to solve this, but I am now considering other laptops and companies for my purchase!

• CHADSHAWAN
    CHADSHAWAN Member Posts: 2 New User

I will be waiting to see your progress, please update me if it works, I will fix it.