ACER Aspire A515-56 running extremely slow

MarcusPfeiffer
MarcusPfeiffer Member Posts: 2 New User

One of my supported notebooks is running so slow that the employee is going home to work from her own PC.
It takes almost 15 seconds for the machine to pop up a Windows menu when clicking the Windows button, and everything else is even slower!

It's an Aspire A515-56 with 24GB of factory-installed RAM, an SSD and Windows 11 23H2.

So far, I've done the following to attempt to solve this;

Disabled any power management while plugged in.

Scanned for Malware and viruses using MalwareBytes, then uninstalled it.

Scanned for Malware and viruses with MS Defender.

Windows upgrades, driver upgrades, firmware upgrades "up to date" twice in a row.

Removed all startup apps and disabled all non-Microsoft services.

Removed all bloatware included when new. Only MS365, Adobe Reader and accounting app left.

Disabled all unnecessary services.

Tested SSD and RAM health.

Cleaned drive of all temporary files, completed updates, recycle bin, logs, etc…

Defragmented drive. (only using around 100GB of 1TB)

Turned off any reporting back to Microsoft re logs, habits, etc.

Ran Registry cleaner to eliminate empty keys and obsolete keys.

NOTHING helped. The Task Manager even shows under 10% utilization for CPU and RAM with only minor fluctuations. By all appearances, the machine should be running super fast.

WHAT am I missing???

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,655 Trailblazer
    edited August 28

Hi, the mistake you made is "Ran Registry cleaner" never use PC Cleaner bloatware or the like. Other than that is the boot drive, if that is a spinning HDD it may have bad sector(s) or bad hardware, did you check the HDD with HWINFO.64? 24GB RAM is indicating 8GB soldered and a 16GB module in the removable slot, this runs in Single Channel mode, better replace the 16GB with a 8GB module that is identical to the soldered RAM module, that set will run in faster Dual Channel mode, to find the part number of the soldered RAM run the WMIC command: wmic memorychip list full or use CPU-Z. If still no performance improvement the system is probably corrupted and for sure the registry after "cleaning" it. "Reset this PC" with losing your files option or a Clean install of Windows with a USB drive and ISO image are 2 recommended methods.

• MarcusPfeiffer
    MarcusPfeiffer Member Posts: 2 New User

As far as the RAM goes, it was factory installed as is, and has been working quickly for two years, so the configuration of Single Channel mode, if it's the case, can't have been the cause for the slow-down.

As far as the boot drive goes, it's not an HDD. It's an SSD. I've done the Disk Check and it says no errors. There are also no disk errors in the system logs.

As far as the Registry Clean goes, the machine was crawling long before that cleanup. It's only after I spent hours exhausting all other ideas that I tried the registry. It made no difference anyway.

I'm suspicious of the operating system having corruption, but I haven't found anything that can find a damaged file.