How to do big clean up of SSD or how to install new SSD with only one slot in my Acer N50

Rodders61
Rodders61 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited August 28 in Nitro Gaming

Hi, I have a question about the SSD in my Acer N50. I started with an 128gb SSD when i bought it new. Now i'm down to 40.2gb and the only thing i've installed is the Steam app but not much else . I have a separate HDD where i keep lots of data. I'm trying to find a way to get it back up nearer 128 but don't know what to do. The reason I'm asking is that I have a Steam game which has audio stuttering when i first go into it. I asked on their forum and was asked if i have it in the HDD or SSD which may be the problem i don't know. They have been upgrading the game and i meet the specs but seem to say it's best to put it in the SSD.

Also, after a friend looked inside the pc he told me i have only one SSD slot(The other has the wifi card in it). So, if i bought another SSD how do i get the data into the new one. I'm also trying to find out what type and size of SSD can i go up to.

Can anyone help as i'm no expert.

Thank you.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,654 Trailblazer
    edited September 2

Tell us your model desktop, Nitro N50-620, 640 or 650, You can replace or install a 2.5" SSD like the Samsung 870 Evo V-NAND up to 2TB, the much faster PCIe M.2 slot is 3x4 that supports a Gen3 NVMe SSD like the Samsung 970 Evo Plus up to 2TB or more. The easiest way to transfer your present boot drive to a new one is to get an external USB backup case 2-4TB like the Seagate Backup Plus ($80) and use W7 BU Image creator in Control panel (W10-11) to backup and restore your boot drive. Or clean install Windows on the new boot drive and copy your data from the backup drive with File Explorer.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,370 Trailblazer

The Nitro N50-600-610-620-630 use a Gen 3 x4 M.2 SSD drive while the newer Nitro N50-640 and 650 use a Gen 4 x4 M.2 SSD desktops all have 1x M.2 SSD drive slot and 1x M.2 Wi-Fi/BT card slot and most have at least 3x SATA 3 type plugs for 3.5" or 2.5" HDD of either a mechanical type or a 2.5" SSD type.

Whatever your N50-6XX desktop model is it of either a Gen 3 x4 lane or a Gen 4 x4 lane M.2 SSD I suggest that you use a the Samsung drives as their Magician software makes is so easy to clone your other drive, Their Gen3 x4 Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD drive (btw, I'm using this drive and the software on my Nitro 5 laptop and this M.2 SSD drive and its software was very easy to clone with and the drive is excellent and a quick drive also) or their Gen 4 x4 M.2 drives are all excellent and the best on the market, whichever your Nitro N50-6XX desktops is, it can be upgraded to either a 1TB or 2TB size drive which is adequate enough for a desktop as a boot drive.

Do the cloning with an external case enclosure to a USB-C cable as described above, which is the quickest way to clone as these Nitro N50 desktops have on their facia either a USB 3.1 Type C for the N50-600-610-620 models or a USB 3.2 Gen2 Type C port for the N50-630 or a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A 10Gb/s port for the N5-640 and N50-650 models. Good luck and hope this clear up all the cloning M.2 drive issue.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍