Acer TravelMate P648-M unable to update BIOS

cuynu
cuynu Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

My laptop suddenly power on slower than normal (28 sec) so i decided to flash bios, but when reboot and enter secure flash environment, it just have this error, and then bios don't flash at all.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,744 Trailblazer

Hi, 28 seconds is a normal boot time and flashing BIOS with a USB stick is not recommended as that will brick your laptop. If you downloaded an incompatible BIOS version you may have corrupted BIOS and the only way to fix it is bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reprogram the EEPROM for a small service fee.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,374 Trailblazer

The error is saying that the image you downloaded is corrupt. What version are you trying to flash, and where did you get it? 28 seconds is a bit long if you are booting from a SSD, but pretty normal if you have a HDD instead.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cuynu

Tinkerer

no, it takes 28 seconds to post to ACER logo, which is abnormal, i also tried redownload bios many times and tried to update new bios, after windows rebooted, it take 28 seconds to post to acer logo, but decompress failed error still appears

• cuynu

Tinkerer

edited September 9

i trying to flash 1.26 bios, downloaded from official acer site listed here : https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support/TMP648-M/NX.VCBSV.003/downloads

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,404 Trailblazer
    edited September 9

You need to create a Crisis Utility SOP that Acer lists in this model TravelMate P648-M service guide, I've extracted the step by step appropriate Crisis Utility SOP PDF instructions for the construction of this USB, be warned that you need to know how to restore a BIOS when it becomes corrupted and I take no responsibility oif you brick or damage the bios chip. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Use the Flash utility to update the system BIOS Flash ROM.
    Perform the following to run a BIOS Flash update:

1. Prepare a bootable USB HDD/FDD.
    2. Download and copy the Flash utilities to the bootable USB HDD/FDD.

NOTE:
    • If a Crisis Recovery Disc is not available, create one before BIOS Flash utility is used.

• Do not install memory related drivers (XMS, EMS, DPMI) when BIOS Flash is used
    • Use an AC adaptor power supply when running BIOS Flash utility. If the battery pack
    does not contain power to finish loading BIOS Flash, do not boot the system.
    • Flash utility has auto execution function.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• cuynu

Tinkerer

I did not find any download links for Crisis Utility SOP, even on pdf file. can i get download link for that?

• billsey

Yes, as with the service guides, Acer doesn't publicly provide crisis disk images. You have to build them yourself using the files from the BIOS downloads. In this case, the BIOS installer is an .exe file, rather than a set of files. Try using a utility like 7-Zip or Winzip to extract that .exe file and see what's in it. It might have a .fd file or a .bin file that is the BIOS image.

You should also be able to run the B4DBU126.exe file directly from a command prompt, either in Windows using a "run as administrator" option to CMD or by booting to a Windows install image and using the Repair option to get a command prompt.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cuynu

Tinkerer

I got isflash.bin inside the bios flash file, renamed it to B4DBUX64.fd. turned off device, connect ac power, press fn + esc then power on, the fan also run as full speed, but after 30 seconds, it have 3 beep sounds, then computer shutdown. nothing changed when i try to turn it on again

• billsey

Then likely the file isn't in the .fd format. What happens when you use a command prompt to execute B4DBUX64.exe?

• cuynu

Tinkerer

it just open graphical insydeflash and ask for reboot, the error still the same : Decompress failed!!!