CPU frequency drops in Acer Aspire A317-53G-74WF laptop, tried all methods, nothing helps.

VladLts
VladLts Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 25 in Aspire Laptops

Acer Aspire A317-53G-74WF laptop, GeForce MX350 video card, intel core i7-1165G7 processor with base 2800 MHz
In stress tests, the frequency drops from 2800 MHz to 2100-2400 MHz (and begins to fluctuate in this range)
I turned off turbo boost, set the power settings to high performance, and set the maximum processor state to 98%, in the end nothing changed
I reinstalled Windows, installed all the drivers from the Acer website

Using MSI Afterburner, I noticed in games that when the temperature reaches 68-69 degrees, the percentage begins to drop frequencies to 2100-2400 MHz, but then raises them to 2500-2700 MHz (and in this range they begin to fluctuate occasionally, causing stuttering in games)
You can’t do anything in the BIOS, it’s actually kind of ancient (provided screenshots below)
Undervolting is not available on this processor

It's a shame that the GeForce MX350 video card can handle 300+ fps in conventional cs:go, but in the end, because of the processor, it can't even handle 100+

I tried all the methods, climbed a lot of forums, but in the end, nothing helps

As I understand it, there is a temperature limit of 68 degrees (which seems to be generally considered the norm for a laptop), but I didn’t find a way to disable or configure this limit on my laptop

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,675 Trailblazer
    edited August 26

The Aspire A317-53G is not a gaming laptop even with its GeForce MX350 so don't expect this laptop to be able to play with a high fps and for you to overclock the cpu or gpu or change any of its voltages to improve performance, as and even if you do, this latops cooling will not handle the extra heat as more performance equals more heat, have a look at its 1x fan thermal module below in comparison to a gaming laptop, its like chalk and cheese.

Your Aspire A317-53G is a laptop that is designed for general usage and NOT for hard core gaming as its only equipped to play low end to max mid end games and general computing, so be aware of all this. If you want a gaming laptop then buy either a Nitro or a Predator gaming Acer laptop as they are designed with better cooling, higher end cpu’s and gpu’s and specifically designed for gaming, editing and high end computing, as no matter what you do to your Aspire A317-53G laptop it will not compare or be able to be a gaming laptop as Acer didn't design it to be a gaming laptop.

I suggest that you leave your laptop at its oem specs and as Acer designed it to operate, update to the last bios version 1.35 and whatever firmware Win-11 update optional updates has for your laptop and of course all the Win-11 23H2 updates and install the NVidia GeForce Experience software and play all your gaming through this software's settings for the GeForce MX350 gpu as that is the best way to use the dedicated GeForce MX350 gpu on your laptop and also look at this excellent guide for the Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming @ Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

The A317-53G thermal module with its 1x fan is NOT a gaming module and the cpu/gpu will always run hot on your laptop if pushed to its limit.

Compare that to the below Predator PH16-72 heatsink which has 2x fans and is a gaming laptop

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍