Adding SSD to Acer Aspire 5 A517-51-54UG

Chuck63
Chuck63 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited August 30 in Aspire Laptops

I wanted to know if it is possible to add a secondary SSD to my Acer Aspire 5 laptop. The model number is A517-51-54UG and was pre-installed with a 1000 GB hard drive and I wanted to add another drive for loading Linux.

[Edited the topic title to include model number]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,347 Trailblazer
    edited August 24 Answer ✓

Just some further advice as the Aspire A517-51 model laptop is a 2018 laptop model and for an Aspire that are a range of Acer basic level spec laptops this laptop has a 1x M.2 SSD SATA 6 Gb/s interface and a 1x 2.5 SATA3 interface drive of capacities of 1Tb to 2TB and you can fit either a mechanical or an SSD type 2.5" drive.

The below are the SG spec for the storage drives specified by Acer for the A517-51 laptops:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,909 Pathfinder

@Chuck63

You can use a M.2 NVMe SSD up to 1TB but if you have a 2.5" HDD, you can use a 250GB as a boot drive and use the HDD for storage.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Chuck63

Tinkerer

Thank you for your response!

I had hoped to get a 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD as you suggested but it sounds like that is not possible to the 1TB, 2.5" HDD already installed.

Is there some limitation in the system that prohibits me from having the the two 1TB storage devices?

• StevenGen
    edited August 24 Answer ✓

Just some further advice as the Aspire A517-51 model laptop is a 2018 laptop model and for an Aspire that are a range of Acer basic level spec laptops this laptop has a 1x M.2 SSD SATA 6 Gb/s interface and a 1x 2.5 SATA3 interface drive of capacities of 1Tb to 2TB and you can fit either a mechanical or an SSD type 2.5" drive.

The below are the SG spec for the storage drives specified by Acer for the A517-51 laptops:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Chuck63

Tinkerer

Thank you! The additional details you provided helped a great deal.

• StevenGen

Glad to help you sort this out. cheers

• sebcl1986
    sebcl1986 Member Posts: 10 New User

dont forget to initialize the ssd you will buy in disk manager by setting is status to online (right click on drive in disk manager and set online) before installing it else you will get the message that will lead you to donan other post ... no bootable drive detected :D