Can I use external GPU with Acer Nitro AN515-52 model(2018)

Levi_Marshall089
Levi_Marshall089 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 23 in Nitro Gaming

Hi I have Acer Nitro An515-52(SNID-XXXXXXXXXXX) with Gtx 1050ti

Is it possible to use external GPU by any means

Like using thunderbolt pin to my laptop..

I'm thinking of upgrading the ram but it is not possible right so I want to use eGPU

AND PLS do suggest me what kind of GPU I can use (for gaming and office work )

Thanks a lot.....

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive content]

Best Answer

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,387 Pathfinder
    edited August 23 Answer ✓

Unfortunately, it is not possible to use an external GPU (eGPU) with your Acer Nitro AN515-52 laptop that has a GTX 1050 Ti GPU. The AN515-52 model does not have a Thunderbolt port, which is typically required for connecting an eGPU enclosure.Upgrading the RAM may help improve performance for some tasks, but it will not provide a significant boost for gaming compared to upgrading the GPU. However,  it can connect an external GPU using the M.2 slot with an appropriate adapter, such as the ADT-Link R43SG. This setup requires some modifications and may not provide optimal performance due to bandwidth limitations. Users have reported mixed results, and it often involves additional steps to ensure compatibility and functionality. its not worth to spend on this. You wont be able to game happily.

Since your laptop has a GTX 1050 Ti, which is a mid-range GPU (or I should say it used to be mid-range), you may experience performance limitations in more demanding games.

If you are looking to significantly upgrade your gaming performance, your best option would be to consider purchasing a new laptop with a more powerful dedicated GPU, such as an RTX 3060 or higher. Alternatively, you could build a desktop PC with a high-end GPU for gaming and use your current laptop for office work and less demanding tasks.

Recommended GPUs for gaming and office work

If you decide to build a desktop PC, here are some recommended GPUs for gaming and office work:

• NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti: A great balance of performance and value for 1080p and 1440p gaming.
    • NVIDIA RTX 3070: Excellent for 1440p gaming and can handle 4K gaming at high settings.
    • NVIDIA RTX 3080: Top-tier performance for 4K gaming and VR.
    • AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT: Comparable to the RTX 3080 in performance and a good alternative.

Remember to match the GPU with a suitable CPU, power supply, and cooling solution for optimal performance and stability.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,387 Pathfinder
    edited August 23 Answer ✓

Unfortunately, it is not possible to use an external GPU (eGPU) with your Acer Nitro AN515-52 laptop that has a GTX 1050 Ti GPU. The AN515-52 model does not have a Thunderbolt port, which is typically required for connecting an eGPU enclosure.Upgrading the RAM may help improve performance for some tasks, but it will not provide a significant boost for gaming compared to upgrading the GPU. However,  it can connect an external GPU using the M.2 slot with an appropriate adapter, such as the ADT-Link R43SG. This setup requires some modifications and may not provide optimal performance due to bandwidth limitations. Users have reported mixed results, and it often involves additional steps to ensure compatibility and functionality. its not worth to spend on this. You wont be able to game happily.

Since your laptop has a GTX 1050 Ti, which is a mid-range GPU (or I should say it used to be mid-range), you may experience performance limitations in more demanding games.

If you are looking to significantly upgrade your gaming performance, your best option would be to consider purchasing a new laptop with a more powerful dedicated GPU, such as an RTX 3060 or higher. Alternatively, you could build a desktop PC with a high-end GPU for gaming and use your current laptop for office work and less demanding tasks.

Recommended GPUs for gaming and office work

If you decide to build a desktop PC, here are some recommended GPUs for gaming and office work:

• NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti: A great balance of performance and value for 1080p and 1440p gaming.
    • NVIDIA RTX 3070: Excellent for 1440p gaming and can handle 4K gaming at high settings.
    • NVIDIA RTX 3080: Top-tier performance for 4K gaming and VR.
    • AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT: Comparable to the RTX 3080 in performance and a good alternative.

Remember to match the GPU with a suitable CPU, power supply, and cooling solution for optimal performance and stability.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Levi_Marshall089
    Levi_Marshall089 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 23

Thank you for the reply but I think it has a USB C Port... I think it's Thinderbolt 3 sort of

If possible can you recommend me some laptops for both Office and gaming and has thunderbolt (new version) pin pls

Thanks in advance guys

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,626 Trailblazer

Hi, you are correct, the Acer Nitro AN515-52 does have a USB-C port with Thunderbolt 3 support, but unfortunately, it does not support DisplayPort video output required for an eGPU adapter as stated above. All 2023-2024 Nitro laptops support Display Port-Video out and you can get an Office Pro 2021 for life license for $130 on the internet, better than a 365 subscription that needs to be renewed yearly. If you are into gaming, NVidia RTX 450 is a good dGPU and the latest Nitro 16, with a MUX switch, goes for under $1,000, has 2 USB-C display ports and a 16" 3K IPS WQXGA screen with165Hz refresh rate (almost OLED): Acer Nitro 16 (AN16-51) review - great display and performance in one place: Display quality, Health impact (PWM), Sound | LaptopMedia.com