Aspire 5 A515-56 SSD anybody who has successfully cloned the factory installed 128GB SSD to a higher

TrevorHughes
TrevorHughes Member Posts: 9 New User
edited August 24 in Aspire Laptops

Is there anybody who has successfully cloned the factory installed 128GB SSD to a higher capacity SSD. I would like to know because I have used 4 different apps (Macrium Reflect, Acronis, Disk Genius and HD Clone), none of which, like battle plans, survived first contact with the enemy i.e. "Restart". All but Disk Genius were fine when first powered up, but created chaos when restarted. (Disk Genius was not bootable).
Is there something on the factory installed SSD which prevents it from being effectively cloned?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,626 Trailblazer

Why don't you try the "old way" with W7 Backup Image creator, it is still available in Windows11 23H2 Control Panel and will never fail to restore using your Windows USB Recovery disk. You will need an external backup drive like the Seagate BU PLUS 2-4TB ($80) and Windows W7 BU will create the VHD image file that you can also mount in any version of Windows File Explorer to browse or copy your folders and files. AFAIK the only backup program that correctly recognizes the 2 hidden Windows system partitions.

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/system-image-recovery-restore-image-on-computer-in-windows-8.9064/

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,348 Trailblazer
    edited August 24

What is the manufacturer of the Acer oem fitted M.2 SSD 128GB drive, as and by the Aspire A515-56 laptops Acer SG, Acer fitted two types of PCIe Gen.3x4 lane type 128GB M.2 SSD drives:

• SAMSUNG SSD NAND 128GB M.2 2280 PM991 MZVLQ128HBHQ-00000 LF+HF
    • SAMSUNG SSD NAND 128GB M.2 2280 PM991 MZVLQ128HBHQ-00000 FW# FXV7101Q LF+HF

So, if you have the Samsung 128GB M.2 SSD drives install Samsung Magician > and use the Data Migration section of Magician to clone the M.2 drive that way onto a larger 1TB or 2TB external PCIe Gen.3x4 M.2 SSD drive.as Samsung make it so easy with their software and you can't go wrong. And after the clone is finished just swap the Ml2 SSD drives, simple!

1x M.2 SSD drive position in the Aspire A515-56

Note: Best is to use a USB-C to an M.2 SSD enclosure and use the Aspire A515-56 UEB-C port on the left side of the laptop which Support USB 3.2 Gen1 with transfer speeds up to 5 Gbps to connect the larger M.2 SSD drive to the Aspire A515-56 laptop and clone the OS that way, it’s a very simple procedure and it should work perfectly to clone Win-11 Home without changing or disabling secure boot etc etc in the bios. Good luck and hope this helps you out

Btw, I’m speaking from experience as I’ve done this same clone on an Aspire newer model A515-57 laptop as my A515-56 came oem with a PCIe3 x4 (which is Acer does allot) and the A515-57 laptops boot drive SSD1 is a Gen 4 x4 which is 100% quicker interface and I did a clone but internally as the A515-57 has 2x M.2 slots and its SSD2 is a Gen 3 x 4 lane slot and this is how I cloned the Win-11 Home boot drive onto a 1TB 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB drive which made the laptop 100% quicker.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• TrevorHughes

Replying to StevenGen.
    Thank you for your input.
    My A515-56-32DK came with a 128GB Kingston NVMe (OM8PDP3128B-AA1).
    I am trying to clone to a 500GB Kingston NV2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280.
    Basically I have already attempted my cloning exactly as you have suggested.
    All the attempts I have tried have led to slower booting, slower populating of Windows Explorer, erratic mouse behaviour, the sudden corruption of my 2.5" hard drive and a host of other irritations.
    I am going to try recloning with secure boot disabled as suggesed by Spacify, but I'm not holding my breath.

• TrevorHughes

Replying to Puraw.
    Thanks for for your welcome input.

Using your suggestion, can I access Windows Recovery if trying to boot from the new clean SSD. Does it need to be initialised, formatted etc.?

• TrevorHughes

Replying to Spacify.

Thanks for your input. You summarised my dilemma perfectly.

I am presently trying to clone having disabled secure boot in the Bios.

Do you have any suggestions for better cloning software than those I have tried?

All the software I have used so far have expanded the main partition. Should I shrink it back?

• TrevorHughes

P.S. Reply to Puraw.

By the way I'm sure you will understand that I, an 80 year old, searched Google for some cloning software called AFAIK!!