Not sure if the 500W psu is enough for the PO3-650-UR17 Predator Orion 3000.

Ericzzz
Ericzzz Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 22 in Predator Desktops

So i plugged in the parts into PCpartpicker and the recommended psu is at min 540W. The processor is an Intel core i7-13700F 1.5 GHz gpu is a Nvidia gtx 4070 12gb GDDR6X. Power supply is a 500w 80 plus Gold. Ive heard it's very difficult to change the psu in this pc so I'm very concermed whether 500W is enough for this pc.

Best Answer

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,387 Pathfinder
    edited August 22 Answer ✓

Returning the Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-650-UR17 for a different model may be a wise choice if you seek longevity and ease of upgrades. The current 500W PSU is inadequate for your Intel i7-13700F and Nvidia GTX 4070 setup, and upgrading the PSU is challenging due to proprietary components. Many users report instability with this configuration, especially under load, which could hinder performance over the next 4-5 years. Consider a pre-built with a higher wattage PSU or build a custom PC for better flexibility and future-proofing.

Conclusion

If you want a reliable and powerful system that will last you several years, returning the current PC and investing in a better-configured model is a smart move. This will save you potential headaches down the road and ensure you have a system that meets your needs for years to come.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566

Answers

• GAMING6698

A 500W power supply may not be sufficient for the Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-650-UR17 with an Intel Core i7-13700F CPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 GPU:

• PCPartPicker estimates the minimum recommended PSU wattage for this configuration is 540W.
    • The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 has a recommended system power requirement of 650W.
    • Acer offers this model with a 500W PSU, but this seems to be an unusually low wattage for the included components.

Upgrading the PSU in this pre-built system may be difficult, as Acer often uses proprietary parts and connectors. If possible, it would be ideal to get a higher wattage power supply, ideally 650W or more to comfortably power the RTX 4070 GPU.However, if the system is working stably with the included 500W PSU, it may be sufficient, as the CPU lacks integrated graphics and the RTX 4070 could be a lower power variant. Monitor temperatures and performance to ensure stability.In summary, while 500W is on the low end, it may work, but a 650W+ PSU is recommended for optimal performance and stability with this high-end hardware configuration. Upgrading the PSU may be challenging due to the pre-built nature of the system.

• Ericzzz

Would you recommend returning this pc and buying another if i wanted a pc that lasted 4-5 years. Since upgrading the PSU is quite the challenge and might be a hassle

• GAMING6698
    edited August 22 Answer ✓

Returning the Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-650-UR17 for a different model may be a wise choice if you seek longevity and ease of upgrades. The current 500W PSU is inadequate for your Intel i7-13700F and Nvidia GTX 4070 setup, and upgrading the PSU is challenging due to proprietary components. Many users report instability with this configuration, especially under load, which could hinder performance over the next 4-5 years. Consider a pre-built with a higher wattage PSU or build a custom PC for better flexibility and future-proofing.

Conclusion

If you want a reliable and powerful system that will last you several years, returning the current PC and investing in a better-configured model is a smart move. This will save you potential headaches down the road and ensure you have a system that meets your needs for years to come.

• Ericzzz

Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice and will follow it.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,345 Trailblazer

The Predator Orion PO3-650 desktop has a 750W Acer proprietary PSU available that will fit and work your PO3-650 mainboard, so upgrade to the below highlighted PSU of the Lite On PA-3751 model that is available from Acer parts stores or on the web, search with the Acer part number. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• GAMING6698
    edited August 22

Upgrading to the Lite On PA-3751 PSU in the Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-650 can indeed be complex due to the proprietary nature of Acer's design. This model uses specific connectors (10-pin and 18-pin) that are not standard in most PSUs, making compatibility with non-proprietary units challenging. While the PA-3751 is designed to fit, users may still encounter difficulties if they attempt to use other PSUs without the correct adapters, as standard ATX PSUs typically do not match the required pin configurations

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,345 Trailblazer

Hey GAMING6698 I'm not misleading Ericzzz when I'm suggesting the upgrade to the 750W PSU of the PO3-650 desktop, as the desktop uses an ATX1 - 6-Pin ATX power connector and at ATX2 - 4-Pin ATX power connector and at ATX3 - 4-Pin ATX power connector not a 10-pin and 18-pin ATX connectors.

The above Lite On PA-3751 PSU is listed as an Acer oem PSU for the PO3-650 desktop. Why would Acer list this 750W PSU if it didn't work or had different connectors?

This is the PO3-650 mobo layout and all its ATX connectors:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• GAMING6698

Thank you for the clarification!I understand that the Lite On PA-3751 PSU is specifically designed for the Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-650 and that it uses proprietary connectors to ensure compatibility. It’s interesting how manufacturers create unique designs to meet their systems' needs.I appreciate the insight into the connectors. It seems that while the PSU is OEM for this model, it does present challenges for users looking to upgrade or replace it with a non-proprietary unit. 

and I never doubt you.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,308 Trailblazer

Acer has done extensive testing with their systems, and they have determined the 500W supply works fine with the standard peripherals installed, plus with maxed out memory and drives. No need for the 540W suggested by your calculator, which builds in more overhead than actually needed. The 750W supply is required for higher end GPU cards than the 4070 you have installed.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Intelvidia
    Intelvidia Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

The 4070 is actually not as power hogging as a lot of other gpu cards. I have the same pc, I'm upgrading the ssd, ram, cpu cooler but not the power supply