Nitro V15 ANV15-51 Thermal Throttling

M4gn3tar
M4gn3tar Member Posts: 9 New User
edited August 19 in Nitro Gaming

I'm using the laptop from november 2023 and i mainly use the Game Balanced profiile, sometimes the Game Quiet profile (setted with NitroSense).

I use it almost only for gaming and i'm moderately satisfied with performance. The avarage fps in games is good even if the 99th percentile is considerably lower than the average with some episodes of stuttering.

The GPU temperature is low (max 70°) even if it works for hours at 100% and in general i don't have any problem with GPU even if i switch in Game Performance profile.

The CPU behaviour (i7 13620h) is not good as the gpu one. The medium temperature in games is 60-70° but it is sufficent a little loading form to push the cpu immediatley over 90° causing thermal throttling on some or all the p-cores even if the cpu load is almost always in the interval from 10% to 30%.

Also when i use chrome and move fast from one tab to another i can see (through HWiNFO) that some of the p-cores have gone in thermal throttling and i have some short freeze.

When i'm gaming i don't really realize that the p-cores have gone in thermal throttling. Maybe some episodes of stuttering are correlated with them but i cannot be sure about that.

If i run some cpu stress test like this one: https://silver.urih.com/ after few seconds some or all the p-cores go on thermal throttling even in Game Quiet Profile.

Now the questions are:

Is this normal?

Before this laptop i had a HP Pavilion with i5-3230m and ATI hd7670m. It never goes on thermal throttling even if i run the silverbench for hours. I can play for hours with it with CPU going 100% (not on 10 - 30% like this Acer) and it never goes on thermal throttling.

I thought that thermal throttling was a rare situation that can occur in some hard scenario but here i can see that it is the standard behaviour.

The second question is:

There is a way to avoid this thermal throttling maybe by modifing some voltage configuration in bios or something else?

I use a laptop stand and the medium cpu temperature are low during game (60-70°). Peaks are the problem. In only few seconds the CPU can move from 60° to 95° causing the thermal throttling.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,611 Trailblazer

Hi, is your battery charged 100% and is the power adapter plugged in when that throttling happens? If you are using a USB-C charger switch to the 135-Watt barrel plug power adapter.

• M4gn3tar
    edited August 19

Thank you for your answer. Yes my battery is constantly fully charged. I use the standard 135W power adapter always plugged in to the laptop.

When i use the laptop on battery (very rarely) obviosuly the p-cores don't go on thermal throttling.

What i'm asking here is if everyone who uses this laptop reaches, as normal behavoior, thermal throttling on the p-cores. My impression is that this CPU is teoretically able to push to over 4 GHz but in practice in a little machine like this laptop, they can do it for maybe some seconds and then they are capped because of too high temperature reached.

• M4gn3tar
    edited August 19

I try to add some informations.

When i start the laptop and open HWiNfo i can see that the "Core Thermal Throttling" value is No in all three columns. During the first minutes in which i use the laptop before starting a game (or the browser) the p-cores can reach the maximum frequency of 4,9 Mhz. When for the first time the "Core Thermal Throttling" go to Yes (even if for only a second) for that point on all p-cores cannot reach a frequency higher than 4,5 Mhz untill i restart the pc.

More interesting if i look at the real temperature reached by the p-cores in HWiNfo i can see that all of them are beyond the therotical TJmax (100°). Sometimes a p-core can reach more than 90° but usually they are all under 90° but Core Thermal Throttling indicates Yes and the maximum frequency reachable is capped.

I cannot understand if this is due to the fact the the sensors are not speedy enough to detect the spike over 100° or if the Thermal Throttling happens at lower temperature for some reason.

I attached an image for clarity. Sorry for the italian labels but i think it is clear anyway.

• cotzo
    cotzo Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

i have the same issue, temps just spikes on this processor