The Fn+F12 (Sleep) combination has stopped working in my new AL15-52 laptop. How to restore it?

Raindrops
Raindrops Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 19 in Aspire Laptops

I purchased a new Acer Aspire AL15-52 laptop a month ago.

Its Fn+F12 hotkey is mapped to the Sleep function.

It used to work correctly all these days. But all of a sudden, it has stopped working.

• I can put the laptop to sleep through the Power menu (Winkey → Power → sleep)
  • I can use the Fn key with all other Function keys (F1-F11)

There was no accident with the keyboard (no dust/water fell on the keyboard)

What should I do to restore the sleep function?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,611 Trailblazer

The Acer Aspire Lite AL15-52 doesn’t have a dedicated “Sleep” key. However, you can put the laptop to sleep by pressing the Fn key along with the F4 key. If you are using the default Advanced Power settings, you can also press the power button briefly for Sleep mode.

• Raindrops

Thanks for the prompt response!

In my laptop, the F12 key does have a dark blue crescent moon icon (=sleep).
    I have used the Fn+F12 combo for the past month to put the laptop to sleep every night.

In my keyboard, the F4 key has no special function mapped to it.
    The Fn+F4 combo does not do anything either.

I am using the default configurations, but my Power button does not have a long-press functionality at all.
    If I hold it down for too long, it will crash the system.

• Puraw

Hi, not long pressing that will abort the system, never do that, I am referring to the brief (short tab) function, go to Advanced Power Settings and check if the Power Button is set to Sleep.

• Raindrops
    edited August 19

Well, it's bearable, because I can always use the WinKey → Power → Sleep menu.

But I really want to reactivate the Fn+F12 combo for instant sleep.

• Raindrops
    edited August 19

Update:

I followed your tip and followed the Control Panel → Hardware and Sound → Power Options → System Settings path.

In the What Power button can do section, everything seemed normal. but I changed some checkboxes and reversed the changes immediately. Although technically I had not changed anything, these "changes" activated the "Save" button (which was inactivated till then). I saved the setting.

I know this hotkey is not related to the sleep settings, but this worked somehow: The Sleep function (Fn+F12) is now restored!

• Puraw