Network connection is not secure on Acer Predator Helios 16

MoonFunk
MoonFunk Member Posts: 2 New User

The RJ-45 connector on my Predator Helios 16 has not securely held a network cable since the date of purchase. After putting the cable in and hearing it lock into place, the cable can easily move 1/8" out of the socket and cause the laptop to disconnect from the network. Even moving the laptop on a table will make the cable will make the cable enough that I lose my connection. I can replicate the same outcome using different brands of cables.

Is this a common experience with others or is my network socket not working as-intended?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,341 Trailblazer
    edited August 19

You need to have a Cat 7 that has a High Speed 600MHz to 10Gbps speed capability cable, and the laptops Ethernet (RJ-45) port clip needs to be able to clip the Cad 7 plug fully and tightly, as and if the bottom clip of the laptop RJ45 port is broken (see caption below) then the Cat7 cable plug will not sit properly in the port. otherwise use the WLAN to connect to the web as thePH16-71 laptop has a Wi-Fi 6E with a frequency band of 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 6 GHz with its Intel AX211 card that also has a BT 5.2 which is a great card for Bluetooth wireless headphone listening.

The only way to fix a lose connection of a Cat7 cable plug into an RJ45 LAN port, is to either change the Ethernet (RJ-45) port plug of the laptop as its faulty and its clip is broken or push the Cad 7 plug into the RJ45 port until it makes 100% connection and then tape the plug to the side of the laptop, so that it sits in the port correctly and tightly and makes full contact. Good luck and hope this helps you out

Ethernet (RJ-45) port clip shown with the red arrow could be broken and its lost its springy capability to secure the RJ45 plug.

Cad 7 plug and flat cable that has a High Speed 600MHz to 10Gbps speed capability

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• MoonFunk
    MoonFunk Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you for your comment. I have relied on using the laptop's wifi adapter since purchase. I only tried using a wired connection for the first time last week, only to find that the port has little to no spring capability to maintain the physical connection. The Ethernet cables that I have tested on the laptop are new and do not have broken clips.

I am under the impression now that the clip was faulty since the date of purchase purchase but I am only learning of it now. Considering the cost of the laptop, taping the cable to the laptop to maintain a connection is unreasonable.

I suppose my next option is to open a ticket and hope for the best. I would hope this issue falls within the Acer warranty since I purchased the laptop eight months ago. In hindsight, I really regret not buying the Micro Center extended warranty.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,341 Trailblazer
    edited August 20

The Predator Helios model PH16-71 and PH16-72 Ethernet RJ45 port is on a separate board that is an easy fix of just disconnecting the board from the laptop mainboard and changing the board for a new board, Acer Tech Support will do that and you should get this job done under warranty. Btw I'm using the Ethernet RJ45 port on my Nitro 5 laptop (which the caption above is from) and my port Cat 7 plug cable is a bit lose even though it should be tight but it doesn't fall out, as that is how these plugs are, so be aware of this also. Good luck

PH16-71 Ethernet REJ45 port board position

PH16-71 laptop model RJ45 board

PH16-72 laptop model RJ45 board

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍