Acer tc-885-ur19 SSD not recognized, Help, please?

sam_nehama
sam_nehama Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello,

My 5-year-old desktop PC has started to slow down, so I purchased a WD Blue SA510 drive that I intended to use as a boot drive. I've cloned the drive and it shows up as drive D:. When I go to change the BIOS, it does not give me the option to select the new drive as a boot drive. I've updated the BIOS to whatever is current. The drive shows up in Disk Management properly (I believe) as well as the cloning software. In the BIOS, it does show up in the list of peripherals correctly on SATA port 2, so I know it's not a cabling issue.

Help, please?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,557 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

As I remember:

Disconnect your main hard drive.

Then Boot the Cloned drive and it'll recognize it.'

Then you can connect the original drive and both should show up when you boot with a F12 . You can then decide which to make the primary,

• sam_nehama

nope. Tried booting with F12 and it's not a choice. The drive does show up in attached peripherals, however.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,341 Trailblazer
    edited August 19

Just some further advice, as on the Aspire TC-885 desktop there is an M.2 SSD drive and that should be used as s boot drive as its a Gen 3 x4 interface read/write drive and its 250% quicker than the WD Blue SA510 SSD drive SATA 3. If you have your OS on anither 2.5" HDD then clone the old OS onto the new PCIe3x4 M.2 SSD and take the old 2.5" boot drive out and boot the desktop from the new cloned M.2 SSD, or if you want to do a clean install then you need to contract a Win-10 OS bootable USB with the TC-885 unzipped IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver version 17.5.0.1017 file on that USB so that the Win-10 installation will recognize the M.2 boot drive when the installation reaches > Where do you want to install Windows?>Load driver and then you install the IRST driver above, Those are your choices as the M.2 SSD boot drive is the way to go. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Larryodie

Be sure that BOOT ENABLE is ENABLED and be sure that you have REMOVED THE main drive.

Your cloning may not making it a bootable drive ???

if not then install WIN on it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• sam_nehama

just so I understand…My current HD is a Toshiba 1TB 3.5". If I clone that drive to a new M.2 SSD drive will I need to do anything else - namely loading of the IRST?

• sam_nehama

also, will this drive work in this desktop? if not, can you recommend one?

SAMSUNG 990 EVO SSD 1TB, PCIe Gen 4x4, Gen 5x2 M.2 2280 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive, Speeds Up to 5,000MB/s, Upgrade Storage for PC Computer, Laptop, MZ-V9E1T0B/AM, Black

• sam_nehama
    edited August 19

will this drive work in this desktop? If not, can you recommend one?

SAMSUNG 990 EVO SSD 1TB, PCIe Gen 4x4, Gen 5x2 M.2 2280 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive, Speeds Up to 5,000MB/s, Upgrade Storage for PC Computer, Laptop, MZ-V9E1T0B/AM, Black

• sam_nehama

Larryodie,

If I use a USB drive to install Windows onto the new SSD drive, will that not blow away the cloning? If so, I suppose I can then just copy the C: partition to the new SSD? Thoughts?

BOOT ENABLE? where is this setting? My cloning software had a "make disk bootable" that was greyed out but was checked…

• Larryodie

Yes, if you format the new drive and install the Create USB then your data and installed programs will be destroyed. You'll have to recreate the store bought programs and copy your data for the old drive.

• Larryodie

This is boot enable.

After you enable then do a F10 to save and reboot with F12.

• Larryodie

Create a disk may have an option to save your data and programs. I've always just reformatted and copied the data to an external hard drive plus I have store bought copies of installed programs.

• sam_nehama

Larryodie,

I really just want to do a clone because I have so many programs currently and do not want to have to reinstall each one - it would take way too much time. If I get an M.2 drive will I still be facing the same situation?

• Larryodie

Have you tried to remove the main drive and boot with the new drive only. Then after the new boot drive is established then hook up the old drive.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,308 Trailblazer

If you cloned the drive, it should already be bootable and just disconnecting the old drive should be all that's needed to get it up and running on the new drive. If the cloning didn't actually clone, but did some sort of data copy instead, then redo the cloning to get everything moved correctly. You should have exactly the same partitions on the new drive as are on the old one, with the exception of the system partition, which will be resized to match the new drive size.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.