Upgrading CPU Cooler on Acer Nitro N50-640

WrathofGoth
WrathofGoth Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 15 in Nitro Gaming

Hello everyone, I want to add a CPU cooler to my current desktop but I am trying to find the correct answer as I do not want to mess this up!

Current specs:

Acer Nitro N50-640 12th Gen intel core i5 2400f LGA1700 2.50 GHz. - 32GB RAM -

PNY RTX 4060 - W11

Now, I've watched countless videos and looked into comments on youtube and forums all over and I have only come across 1 person with the same specs saying something about a Noctua NH-U9S NF-A9 92MM (which I've seen installed on other versions of this PC ex: N50-620) not being able to sit correctly on the CPU because of a bracket that I have to remove or get to but its underneath my MoBo?? Otherwise I will need to add nuts and possibly force the MoBo to make contact with the cooler (scared of possibly bending/breaking is so?)

I've looked for pictures, even tried commenting to the person who originally commented (but that was years ago since they were active, so no response yet) but no luck.

I don't want to go to replace the stock CPU cooler only to find out I must then disassemble the whole PC…unless I absolutely have to (then heck, I will, but trying to avoid that bridge!)

Has anyone done this to theirs? Any guidance or help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Any other recommendations for a compatible CPU cooler would be great as well! TY!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,522 Trailblazer
    edited August 15

The NOCTUA NH-U9S and the NH-U92 chromax.black have been installed and used extensively by community members into the Acer Predator Orion 3000 and 5000 model range of desktops, this cpu cooler is proven as one of the best and most efficient cpu coolers on the market and work excellently and its even better than an AIO single fan cpu water cooling system. What I suggest is that you do, is search the community for guides on the Predator PO3-6xx that have fitted the Noctua cpu cooler, as there are some very good guides around on the community (sorry but I don't have these links).

But one thing that I can tell you is this, that the NOCTUA NH-U9S and the NH-U92 chromax.black has not been extensively used and/or documented on the community in the Nitro N50-640 with its Intel Socket LGA1700 cpu that it has but this cpu cooler can be fitted to this desktop. So what I suggest is that you look at the Noctua PDF installation guide (which I've included for you below) for the Noctua NH-U9S exact installation guide and work out if it will work, as I know this much, that with the Predator desktops the mainboard doesn't have to be taken out and this cpu cooler can be bolted straight onto the cpu mounting points. Good luck and hope this helps you out and maybe other community members can contribute to your question.

Nitro N50-640 mainboard diagram

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• WrathofGoth
    WrathofGoth Member Posts: 3 New User

Thank you for the reply! I am using the video by Technitwit (he's using a similar build N50-620)

The one comment that is throwing me off is this:

"

!!!BE CAREFUL DOING THIS WITH N50-640 I5 12400f GTX 1650!!!I bought the noctua NHU9S.My motherboard is different, it has only 2 ram slots and there are things between the screw holes that stand over the screws' level. When you mount the noctua's bracket nearer to the rear fan it means there is a 2-3 mm gap that makes impossible to mount the cooler. You can solve using nuts to reach a similar level, as I did, but then you have to force the motherboard to reach the processor with the cooler. Furthermore the 12400f supports 1700LGA which means you have to use the number 2 hole in the base brackets (NOT THE 1 AS SAID IN THE VIDEO, for 1700LGA it's written in noctua's user manual). Ok, temperatures are 30 degrees better in average which is insane, but I needed 1 hour to mount the cooler and honestly I'm lucky I didn't break the motherboard.NOTE: If you're able to install the cooler, no space problem with gpu and ram (4060 and 16gb for me). Sure there is an amazing noise difference and the temperatures in gaming are cut by half ( I just installed the cooler and nothing else: no other fans, no tape which is ugly to watch).NOTE 2: If you install the cooler and nothing else, you don't need any cable, splitter or anything: just remove the stock cooler 4 pin connector and connect the noctua's one.NOTE 3: As the screws kit in the description is unavailable, any other m3 should work you just need 10mm m3 and their nuts."

It's a little confusing…What I'm getting out of it is that I will need to remove my MoBo to install the Noctua cooler. Unless this comment was made before the LGA 1700 bracket update that was released?

• Lonewolf57s
    Lonewolf57s Member Posts: 1 New User

I've noticed several issues with my Acer N50 Nitro. It tends to overheat and produce a loud noise from the graphics card. To address this, I opened the case and placed a USB portable fan near the graphics card, which stopped the noise. This morning, I found that the CPU fan is not working. I'm considering replacing it with another fan without removing the CPU fins. What do you think about that?