Want to upgrade Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-523M ram

DorlyGG
DorlyGG Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited August 22 in Nitro Gaming

Having a Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-523M I feel like the 8gb ram is kinda not enough. I know that there is one more slot for ram memory. I want to know all the stuff that could happen and know all the safety precautions so I don't mess something up. From ram capacity, CL, MHz, Single, Dual Channel, Flex Channel. I want to add a Kingston 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL20 SODIMM Fury Impact. From what I know the ram that I already have is 2400MHz CL17 I guess? Will there be a problem with the different frequencies? Will they just match the lowest frequency? Should I just use a 16gb Stick with 3200MHz and remove the first one or should I just add a 8gb stick. Does the laptop have a speed limit, like can I even use the faster one? Which way will I get the best performance just a bang for the buck basically. Other suggestions on how I should improve the performance is welcome. Thank you in forward.

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,387 Pathfinder
    edited August 13

You need RAM with exactly matching specifications. Both RAM modules should be the same size, frequency, CL rate, and voltage. The current RAM speed of your laptop is the maximum it can support. Mixing RAM modules will cause the RAM to run in single-channel mode, which provides no performance improvement and can cause instability. Using higher MHz RAM will result in it being downclocked to the lower MHz supported by your laptop.

You should remove the existing 8GB RAM and replace it with a single 16GB module. For the best performance, get a 2x16GB RAM set for 32GB dual-channel performance. I recommend checking Crucial RAM options. If you want to keep the existing RAM, then get an identical 8GB module that matches all the specs, including CL rate, voltage, size, and frequency, to maintain dual-channel performance, total 16GB Ram. You search your model no. On crucial website they will provide many supported rams. But you need to find match for existing ram.

Additionally, you mentioned Kingston Fury RAM, which will not work in your laptop as it is XMP or overclocking supported RAM. You need standard RAM.

CPU-Z is use to check ram specs

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,622 Trailblazer

The Kingston SODIMM may work as it switches to Standard JEDEC the only format BIOS supports but Crucial/Micron modules are recommended for this laptop: Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

I recommend you stick with the 2400MHz speed and either add one 8GB module with the same CL and preferably the brand too so that will run in Dual Channel mode at 2400MHz or install a kit with 2x16GB (maximum RAM 32GB) from Crucial: CT2K16G4SFD824A, Configuration ID: CT12437443 ($80)

• DorlyGG

Tinkerer

edited August 14

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. But I have some more questions. I saw that the ram I have is 2666MHz but its clocked at 2400MHz. I would stick with the 2400 MHz but I wanna know why not use the max out of it and I would like to know if I buy the same speed ram 16gb cl 15, does flex mode exist? Does it work on laptops, why is xmp not needed for the ram? I also tested my laptop on user benchmark, also on Crucial and Crucial suggests me rams with frequencies 2400/2666/3200 why does it suggest a 3200 stick?

• Puraw

Hi, the 2018 Intel CPU runs at 2666MHz and that's why Crucial and Acer include modules with that speed, 3200MHz is not supported but Intel® Flex Memory Access is supported for the 8300H CPUs so you may give that a try (not recommended by Acer). The reason we recommend 2400MHz is that users tried modules with 2666Mhz from Crucial with this motherboard and the laptop wouldn't boot so why risk it again, there is no noticeable difference with 200 MHz less RAM. Acer BIOS for this laptop does not support XMP profile or any other overclocking, you can try the Kingston Fury Impact modules that switch to Standard JEDEC mode when XMP is not supported in BIOS but why bother with all this as you are inviting RAM crashing issues and disappointments just for the extra 266 MHz RAM?

• DorlyGG

Tinkerer

edited August 15

If I find a 16gb ram stick the CL has to be the same and the Mhz has to be 2400 for Flex mode to work?
    The main problem of why I want a higher MHz ram is that I cant really find a 2400MHz 8g or 16gb stick, my country just doesn't have enough options also I don't want to spend 50% more money and buy it online. if its a 2666MHz 16gb ram will it like downclock to 2400MHz or we cant be sure?

• Puraw

Hi, 2666MHz may downclock in Flex mode but keep in mind you have an 8th Gen CPU that is 6 years old and others reported it would not boot with a Crucial 2666MHz module. I would get a kit online with 2400MHz modules the same frequency CL and size. Try to negotiate a deal with the shop that if it does not work you can return it. 😉

• DorlyGG

Tinkerer

Just to inform you and everyone that I just bought a Kingston Fury Impact cl15 2666MHz(35 euros) and It works, cpu-z says dual on the memory downclocked to 2400MHz and I am currently running in flex mode. Have no issues at the moment and I have a 5 year warranty. Thank you for the help and informing me on everything, I really appreciate it.