Is this blooming normal on my Acer miniled XV275k P3?

Monitoring
Monitoring Member Posts: 2 New User

I just received my new 27-inch miniled Acer UV275K P3. I'm not too familar with monitors so have several questions. Thanks!

1. There are quite serious blooming around lighter elements, like my taskbar and scrollbar. (Though the phone's camera makes it look around 30-40% worst.) It's better when I view it straight on, but the screen is so big that the corners always look a little "bloom-y". Is that normal?

2. Also, there's quite a bit of reverse blooming, when I move my mouse across a grey background, i.e., there's a dark halo around the white mouse icon.

3. I'm currently using it via USB-C to my laptop. Would I not be able to fully take advantage of the 144hz refresh rate if I don't use a HDMI? Scrolling and the mouse movement still looks quite choppy, though I'm not sure if that's just because the screen is huge.

4. Any recommendations for settings? How do I turn on local dimming? Is that the adaptive dimming setting in the OSD? Or ACM?

5. Also, any way to adjust brightness while in HDR mode?

Thank you!

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,650 Pathfinder

These backlight bleeding is common problem is IPS Monitors which can not be remove completely.

Blooming and halo effects are common issues with IPS monitors, especially larger ones with MiniLED backlights. Here are a few key points:

• Some blooming around lighter elements like taskbars and scrollbars is normal, especially in the corners. Viewing angles can affect perception.
    • Reverse blooming, where there's a dark halo around bright objects on a grey background, can also occur. Adjusting settings may help reduce it.
    • The choppiness you're seeing in scrolling and mouse movement is likely due to the USB-C connection limiting performance. To fully utilize the 144Hz refresh rate, HDMI 2.1 is recommended.
    • Local dimming settings are usually found under "Adaptive Dimming" or "ACM" in the OSD. Experiment with these to optimize performance.
    • Brightness adjustments in HDR mode are often limited. Check if there's a specific HDR brightness setting in the OSD.

In summary, while some blooming is typical, especially on larger IPS MiniLED monitors, adjusting settings and using the proper HDMI connection can help mitigate the issues. The choppiness is likely due to the USB-C connection and not the monitor itself.

In summary, In IPS monitors, some blooming and backlight bleeding are expected due to their panel technology.

• Blooming can occur around bright elements, especially in dark scenes. While some users report noticeable blooming, it often becomes less visible during regular use, particularly in well-lit environments or during gaming.
    • Backlight bleeding is also common, particularly in the corners, but should not be excessive. A small amount is typical, but significant bleeding may indicate a defect.

Overall, minor blooming and bleeding are normal, but excessive amounts may warrant a return or exchange. If it's too much then contact seller and ask for replacement

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Monitoring
    Monitoring Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you for the reply. Do you know which setting might affect reverse blooming? And for local dimming is it ACM or Adaptive Dimming? Those are two separate settings I think. I also don't see a HDR brightness setting in the OSD.

Blooming will become less visible during regular use because I'll start ignoring it, or the screen will change?

Thanks again.