Best Practices for Optimizing Battery Life on Acer Laptops

Anas_Rez
Anas_Rez Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi Acer Community,

I’ve recently purchased an Acer laptop and I’m keen on optimizing its battery life for extended use. I’ve heard that there are various settings and practices that can help improve battery performance, but I’m not sure where to start.

Could anyone share their tips or best practices for extending battery life on Acer laptops? Specifically, I’m interested in:

1. Power Settings: Are there any particular settings in Windows or Acer’s pre-installed software that can help maximize battery efficiency?
  2. Hardware Tips: Any recommendations for managing battery health from a hardware perspective, such as optimal charging practices?
  3. Software and Usage: How can I adjust my usage or manage software to prevent unnecessary battery drain?
  4. Updates and Tools: Are there any updates or tools provided by Acer that can help with battery management?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,611 Trailblazer
    edited August 12

Hi, just use your laptop like any other mobile device like your phone and tablet and stop worrying about the battery:
    Power Settings: Are there any particular settings in Windows or Acer’s pre-installed software that can help maximize battery efficiency? Don't use any pre-installed bloatware especially not the battery "Calibration" and "80% charge limiter" options. Use the Battery Saver and Best Power Efficiency mode in Window Power & Battery settings, right click on the battery icon taskbar.
    Hardware Tips: Any recommendations for managing battery health from a hardware perspective, such as optimal charging practices?
    There is no such thing as "optimizing" a Li-Ion battery that have Smart chips built-in controlling the charging, battery longevity is a myth spread on the web, good Acer endorsed batteries have a lifespan of 1,000 full charge cycles or approximately 4+ years but when battery wear reaches 50% it is recommended to replace a laptop battery as draining becomes non-linear and unpredictable defying he whole concept of having a battery operated mobile device (cannot be trusted to boot or won't crash).
    Software and Usage: How can I adjust my usage or manage software to prevent unnecessary battery drain?
    Leave the power adapter or USB-C charger plugged in 24/7, only disconnect the mains from the electrical wall outlet for safety (common sense) if you don't plan to use the laptop for days in a row, never use incompatible adapters, plugs and chargers and update your Windows11 version at least monthly, check that the blue Windows Security shield on the taskbar at the right has a green tick mark and don't "stretch the envelope" run apps within the capacity of your available RAM, storage and CPU limitations, consider upgrading RAM and drives if your system runs slow and above all uninstall all the pre-installed freebees, 3rd party browsers and anti-virus programs.
    Updates and Tools:
    If you have battery charging issues, check Acer Support for a BIOS update that specifically mention ACPI control or battery charging fixes, don't just update drivers/BIOS because these "look newer" incompatible firmware will brick your laptop. Never use programs like IObit, PC Cleaner, Snappy Driver Installer, Driver Easy etc. also Intel's DSA is not recommended for updating. Enable Optional updates in Windows "Check for updates" Adanced settings and you will receive critical updates before being published on Acer Support.

• Anas_Rez
    Anas_Rez Member Posts: 5 New User
    edited August 19

Thank you Puraw for the detailed and practical advice! Your thorough breakdown of power settings, hardware tips, and software management is incredibly helpful. I appreciate the time you took to clarify the best practices for maintaining my laptop's battery health and overall performance. Your insights, especially about avoiding unnecessary software and focusing on critical updates, are invaluable. Thanks again for your guidance!