Acer Aspire A715-76G laptop Keyboard Malfunctioning and need assistance.

Kia_
Kia_ Member Posts: 1 Newbie
edited August 7 in Aspire Laptops

I am experiencing a persistent issue with my Acer Aspire A715-76G laptop and need assistance. Here are the details:

**The Problem:**

- The keyboard is malfunctioning.

- When I type, it presses random characters on its own. For example: "th7e quic[ brow'n fox jumped ove treh fenc'e". Additionally, while typing, various special function keys are pressed randomly, such as brightness change, mute mic, and num lock.

**When It Started:**

- The issue began on Monday after I installed desktop development tools (including SDK11 and CMake tools) and some Python modules.

- I used the PC all day on Sunday for coding. After closing it late at night and going to bed, I took it to school the next morning. Upon trying to connect to Wi-Fi, I noticed the Wi-Fi icon was missing because the driver had been disabled on its own.

- A quick online search suggested uninstalling the driver and restarting the PC, which fixed the Wi-Fi issue temporarily. However, the keyboard problem appeared the following day.

- On Wednesday, I opened the PC to watch some movies and then closed it for the night. The next morning, when I opened it, it booted straight into the boot menu (not BIOS), as if F12 was being pressed. I didn’t think much of it until I noticed that the Developer Tools/Console kept opening in the browser, as if F12 was being pressed continuously.

- I tried searching online for a solution, and the problems described above became evident.

**Fixes I’ve Tried:**

- Restarting the PC

- Uninstalling and updating drivers

- Applying all Windows updates, including optional ones

- Using the keyboard troubleshooter

- Adjusting keyboard repeat/delay rate, system time, and keyboard layout

- Performing a pinhole reset

- Turning off Filter Keys and Sticky Keys

- Running SFC /scannow

- Conducting a full virus scan

- Booting in Safe Mode (the issue persists)

- Using an external keyboard (the issue persists)

- Resetting Windows 11

- Switching to Windows 10 (the same issue occurred)

- Clean installing Windows 11 from a bootable device

- Resetting BIOS to default settings (most recent BIOS version for my hardware)

This entire troubleshooting process has taken a week. The only suggestion I haven’t tried is opening the PC to clean the insides.

**Conclusion:**

- I am uncertain if this is a hardware or software (firmware/BIOS) issue. The problem persists in Safe Mode and with an external keyboard.

- There was a brief period when switching to Windows 10 resolved the issue, but it reappeared after the next reboot.

- The laptop is brand new and has mostly stayed on the desk, with minimal movement. Thus, physical damage seems unlikely, unless there is an internal hardware problem (such as thermal issues) or dust debris inside the keyboard.

Despite reinstalling Windows 11 and updating all necessary drivers from Acer’s website and Windows updates, the issue persists. I cannot even type my login password properly; I have to undo, retype, and press keys firmly and slowly to enter a 4-digit passcode. This makes searching for anything online extremely frustrating.

**PC Specifications:**

- Model: Acer Aspire A715-76G

- Processor: 12th Gen Intel

- Acer Care Center and Acer Sense apps both report that everything is functioning correctly.

**Request:**

Please advise if there are any additional troubleshooting steps I might have missed. If the issue is likely hardware-related, I would appreciate instructions on how to send the laptop for a physical check-up.

Thank you.

[Edited the topic title to include model number]

Answers