Acer Aspire XC-105 unable to install windows, display monitor showing no signal

karthik8223
karthik8223 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi everyone,

I have formatted a few machines and never came across such an incident. This machine is not allowing me to install any version of Windows (Windows 7, 8.1, or 10). I can access the BIOS and boot into the USB stick installer, but once the installer is loaded, I lose connection to the display. I have switched from VGA to HDMI and even connected a graphics card, but the issue remains the same.

I'm suspecting it's the BIOS. I'm currently using the 2013 BIOS (P11-A3). Is there any way we can flash the BIOS without having a Windows OS?

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,562 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Use the Aspire XC-105 bios version P11.B3 ROM file to flash through a bootable USB and dos. Get either Acer Tech support or and an experienced technician to flash this bios for if you don't know how to flash a bios in dos, as you will brick your XC-105 desktop if you do it wrong! Be very careful of this and don't attempt a dos flash if you don't know what you are doing! Acer community forbids any instructions on bios flashing guides for security reasons and/or in case you will brick your Acer product. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓

Use the Aspire XC-105 bios version P11.B3 ROM file to flash through a bootable USB and dos. Get either Acer Tech support or and an experienced technician to flash this bios for if you don't know how to flash a bios in dos, as you will brick your XC-105 desktop if you do it wrong! Be very careful of this and don't attempt a dos flash if you don't know what you are doing! Acer community forbids any instructions on bios flashing guides for security reasons and/or in case you will brick your Acer product. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,578 Trailblazer
    edited August 7

What are you using to do the install? A windows flash disk created from the Microsoft site or a different one? It sounds like the installer is trying to use a resolution that's not supported by the monitor. Since the BIOS works, it's not a BIOS problem.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,582 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Why do you think Dos is a problem ?

If Windows is not installed, then you'll get no display ?

Has it asked for a product key when installing ???

You Computer is 11 years old. Is the hard drive and RAM OK.

TRY holding the shift key down or tapping the shift key or possibly the F10 key to get into diagnostic (Safe Mode)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• karthik8223

Tinkerer

This seems very possible. Thanks for the suggestion, mate. This PC is currently responding in Freedos mode, which I created via Rufus. I'm struggling with the commands to start the BIOS update. Could you help me by sharing those commands if you have them mate.

• karthik8223

Tinkerer

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. I've created all the Windows installers from the official Microsoft Page. This machine's BIOS seems to have issues detecting any Windows version older than 8.1, I believe. I attempted to install Windows 7, but it still failed, which is strange. The BIOS itself works well, but it won't accept any Windows installer. Acer has released a BIOS update to fix issues with installing Windows 10. Unfortunately, I don't have any Windows installed on that machine to update the BIOS. I've been struggling to find a solution, and now @StevenGen has suggested doing it via FreeDos. I'm currently at that stage and still trying to find the right commands to proceed with the BIOS update.

• karthik8223

Tinkerer

This PC can display anything up to the Windows installer boot-up, but once it reaches the welcome page of the Windows installer, the video signal cuts off. I strongly believe the latest BIOS update will fix this issue, but I'm finding it difficult because I don't have any Windows OS installed on the hard drive. Yes, mate, this PC is 11 years old, and I've found a use for it now after it's been sleeping in the storeroom for many years. I'm trying to revive it and make it work like it did before, but I'm stuck with the Windows installation process.

• StevenGen

As I've advised you above, take your Aspire XC-105 desktop tower to either Acer tech support in your country or to an experienced technician near you that has the experience and can do this bios Dos flash for you, as its an easy process and not a costly thing for them to do, and they could do it for you instantly. Unfortunately, we can't advise you on anything in regard to a bios flash or anything bios related that could brick your Acer product, as its forbidden by the Acer community policy agreement, sorry and good luck and I do appreciate your frustration.

• billsey
    edited August 10

The XC-105 models originally shipped with Windows 8/8.1, so have a UEFI boot environment. That may be the reason you are having issues with older OSes than that. The Windows 7 sp1 installers should work, since that's when MS started supporting UEFI booting, but it wasn't required until the release of W8. The BIOS installer only has the WIN version, but you might be able to just execute the bat file in the BIOS_Acer_P11.B3_A_A\WIN\64 folder from the DOS boot environment.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • karthik8223

Tinkerer

Thanks mate. I tried booting up the PC with a Windows 8.1 installer and a hard disk preloaded with the 8.1 OS, but it didn't work. The PC goes into blackout mode right after the Windows logo appears. I also tried booting up with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and still had the same issue. I was on the verge of giving up when I found something about the WinPE environment OS. I booted the PC with the WinPE OS, and it worked! I ran the BIOS installer just like we do in a normal Windows environment.

• billsey

So, did the new BIOS make any difference in the display?

• karthik8223

Tinkerer

Sorry for the late reply but yes mate, the new BIOS solved all the issues. The pc is back alive.