Aspire Z24-891 is incredibly slow...takes about 15 minutes to load anything.

jcatha1
jcatha1 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited August 28 in All-In-One PCs

Hello. I have the above model of desktop PC. It's only about 6 years old and I hardly use it so it's not cluttered at all, not much stored. It's incredibly slow to the point of almost throwing it out of the window. It launches fine but once I start to open pages or websites it takes about 15 minutes to load anything. I've just recently upgraded to super-fast broadband, but this hasn't made any difference so I'm thinking that my PC needs tweaking or something. If anyone is kind enough to respond would you please do so in laymans speak. I'm not a newbie but really high tech speak loses me.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• jcatha1

Thank you for responding and for sending the link. Unfortunately that's way out of my comfort zone to attempt. :-(

• jcatha1

Thank you. I will check each of these links. Question…I don't game at all so will these suggestions apply to just ordinary PC use too?

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,397 Pathfinder

Yes, Those steps will reduce CPU usage free up ram and system more responsive.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,343 Trailblazer

We need to know which Z24 model you have, there have been at least three different base model series of Z24 with likely hundreds of different SKUs. Taking that long to load anything almost has to be a problem with the drive, but without knowing which machine you have we can't do more than the general suggestions.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jcatha1

Sorry for the delay in responding. It's a Z24-891, does that answer your question about the model? If not, how can I find out the mode, please?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,343 Trailblazer
    edited August 30

Yes, the Z24-891 models were released for the Christmas season in 2018 IIRC. They came with either 8th gen or 9th gen chipsets and CPUs. Depending on specific SKU they used either a small SSD or a larger HDD for storage and came with several options for memory size. What size and type of drive is in yours? A HDD will have the system running significantly slower than a SSD. How much memory is in yours? Windows 10, or Windows 11 if you have upgraded, really wants more memory each time they do an update of any size. Likely your best next step if you want to keep on using this system is to first add a SSD to the M.2 slot. It supports both SATA and NVMe, though it's not clear of the NVMe support is for both x2 and x4 speeds. I'd suggest an NVMe drive because even x2 will be twice the speed of a SATA. Next I'd upgrade the memory. Your system uses 2400MHz DDR4 SO-DIMMs, typically used in laptops. You will likely get the best performance per dollar spent with 16GB installed using two 8GB sticks. The maximum memory on this system is 32GB using two 16GB sticks. If I were to guess, based only on your boot times, I'd guess you have a single 4GB stick installed…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 500

Hi jcatha1,

Try this steps,
    Uninstall unused programs.
    Delete temporary files. Whenever you use internet Explorer all your browsing history remains in the depths of your PC.
    Install a solid state drive.
    Get more hard drive storage.
    Stop unnecessary start ups.
    Get more RAM.
    Run a disk defragment.
    Run a disk clean-up.

—————————————————————-

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful.