LAN cable transfer speed is capped at 100 Mbps on Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-896B

davidula78
davidula78 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 1 in Aspire Laptops

Hello, I own an Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-896B and the LAN cable transfer speed is capped at 100 Mbps.-The router supports gigabit network (other devices work properly)
-I use CAT 5e cable (I tried many of them, I also tested it with a cable tester, it is wired according to T568B standard)
-I installed the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller drivers from the official Acer website
-I tried Full duplex 1.0 Gbps (automatically as well)
-I disabled green ethernet
-I disabled Auto disable gigabit network
-I disabled the Ethernet Saver network

Nothing works and I still only have 100 Mbps speed. Please help thank you.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 12,891 Trailblazer

Hi @davidula78 please review this information even though you have already reviewed some options:

Ethernet Link Speed Capped at 100 Mbps (intel.com)

If the card really supports 1GB and the cable is correct (5e or 6), I would try another cable.What I don't understand is what other devices have you tried that work at 1GB via ethernet?Have you ever seen that card work at 1GB?

Regards.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • davidula78
    davidula78 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you for your help, unfortunately it didn't solve my problem.

On that site, they constantly emphasize functional cabling. I have tried all the cables I have at home with another computer and also with a Raspberry Pi 5. In these cases the speed was indeed 1 Gb. This means there is no fault in the cable or the router. After connecting the Acer laptop the speed is still 100 Mbps.

Do you think buying an external network card (RJ45 -> USB-C) would solve this?

Thank you.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 12,891 Trailblazer

The card may not work at that speed, have you ever seen it work at 1GB?
    As for an external card, I'm not sure, please wait for more answers.

Regards.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)