Acer v3-572g-594b - new SSD disk is not visible in the bios

kredz1
kredz1 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

My laptop is Acer v3-572g-594b with 1tb hdd disk. I wanted to put SSD disk there and install windows on it for better performance. The only way to add additional disk in this model is to remove dvd drive and put SSD instead. So I bought SSD disk (Goodram 256gb 2.5 CX400) and caddy, but when I connect caddy with SSD to SATA port - it's not visible in BIOS:

I don't think it's a problem with SSD disk as it is detected when I put it in place of HDD disk.
Why is this SSD disk not working in Caddy even though it is connected correctly? How can I fix it?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,545 Trailblazer
    edited August 1

The caddy connected to a DVD Sata-1 interface may not be detected as HDD in BIOS but if you open File Manager or Disk Manager you should see the drive. By the way this is a waste of your new Sata-3 2.5" SSD as it will run at Sata-1 speed (one 3rd of the rated speed). I recommend replacing the old "spinner" HDD with that 2.5" Sata-3 SSD and forget about the DVD caddy interface. You can easily clone or restore your HDD to the new SSD: Clone Hard Drive to SSD Without Reinstalling Windows (easeus.com)

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,300 Trailblazer

I don't know what you are trying to do as and if you want to use the new Goodram 256GB 2.5 CX400 SSD as the new boot drive then you first need to clone the 1TB Toshiba HDD mechanical boot drive OS to the new 2.5" 256Gb SSD drive. Also, you can't have both OS boot drives installed into the laptop after a clone, so always take the old cloned 1TB Toshiba HDD out before you boot with the new cloned 256GB SSD.

Your other alternative is to do a fresh and Clean Install of Win-10 and have the new 256GB SSD installed in the HDD0 shown in the Information HDD0 bios, as the new drive will be shown then in bios. After and to do a Clean Install, you need to construct a bootable Rufus 4.5 USB with the Win-10 .ISO OS files on the USB as an installation drive and then insert the new Goodram 256GB 2.5 CX400 SSD into the laptop SATA HDD0 slot and boot the laptop with the Win-10 installation USB and install a Clean Install of Win-10 onto the new 256GB SSD drive as that should also work.

Note: The DVD SATA slot is shown in the bios Boot section as an ATAPI CDROM as the bios does not show the name of the Goodram 256GB 2.5 CX400 drive, once this 256GB SSD is installed go to Disk Management and initialize the drive and give it a drive letter like "D" as then it should show in Windows File Explorer as a slave drive and you can install or store whatever onto this drive. good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• kredz1

Tinkerer

Are you sure there is DVD Sata-1 interface? I was pretty sure it is Sata-3 and that's why I tried to put it there.
    I want to keep my old HDD disk inside and install windows on the new SSD.

What I wanted to is to keep my older HDD disk (1TB) inside and put SSD disk in caddy. I created bootable USB pendrive with windows 11 and that way I wanted to install windows on SSD disk but this disk is not visible in bios so I guess it will also not be visible to select during windows installation.

Once windows is installed on the new SSD disk I wanted to somehow remove windows from the previous disk. It is really important to me to keep old files from the HDD disk and I don't wanna buy a new disk to make a copy and I want to have 2 working disk at the same time. The SSD disk has only 256 Gb so I want to use it only for windows for better performance and the size of my files have around 800gb so I cannot clone it. How can I achieve it? I would really appreciate your help.

When I open disk management it shows me initialization disk message. What should I click here? MBR or GPT? Maybe will it help to see it in the bios?

• Puraw

Optical Data Devices use a Sata-1 interface. You can transfer your complete HDD to a new much faster and larger (up to 2TB) 2.5" Sata-3 SSD, what you plan, booting from a caddy in the DVD slot won't work as explained by StevenG you can't have 2 Windows OS installed (won't boot).

• kredz1

Tinkerer

Thanks for explaining. Would it work if HDD disk is formatted and SSD is put in the place of HDD with installed windows and formatted HDD would be in the caddy? Would I see 2 disk in the windows system?

Ps. If i connect only SSD disk with windows, can I use Sata to USB adapter and connect HDD via usb and somehow remove windows and the place it in the caddy?

• Puraw
    edited August 2

Yes, that would work but you would lose your data so make sure you make a backup first. and you can also mount the SSD with Windows OS to an M.2 USB adapter or external SSD case and plug that in a Windows PC USB port to reformat the external SSD and install the empty SSD in the HDD bay or DVD slot caddy.

• kredz1

Tinkerer

Thanks, and is that possible to install windows on my new SSD and then start the system and then pług the old HDD with using adapter via USB and then somehow delete old windows and keep my old movies and photos (If so, how to remove old windows files?). Then switch off the laptop and place HDD in the HDD caddy?