A315-54-50PG Acer Aspire 3 turns on then off immediately

Wzy
Wzy Member Posts: 1 Newbie
edited July 29 in Aspire Laptops

Hi there,

I haven’t used my Acer Aspire 3 A315-54-50PG in over a year and it seems that when I press the power button to turn it on, I can see that the screen turns on as it shows a black light, but then the laptop turns off before the usual green Acer text comes up, so I don’t get to see the Acer screen. After this, the laptop goes in a cycle of turning on and off by itself. I believe it is running Windows 10.

I don’t have a lot of experience dealing directly with hardware but I tried taking the battery out and putting it back in. I took the 8GB stick of RAM out, and replaced it with one from my Thinkpad T480S which had two 8GB sticks of RAM. It still didn’t fix the problem. I then tried to put the 8GB stick of RAM back in my Thinkpad, and my Thinkpad is not detecting it anymore. The laptop shows that it only has 8GB of RAM in the BIOS. I was thinking about potentially replacing the wires for the CMOS battery and leaving the laptop for 10 minutes, and then holding the power button for a while in order to reset the BIOS (I believe this is a thing) but I can’t seem to actually remove the wires from the CMOS battery no matter how hard I try.

I am experiencing the same issue which is shown in this video:

I have the same CMOS battery with the black tape around it as shown at 1:10 in the following video, but I’m not sure how to disconnect the wires. It seems as though someone else has had the same issue in the comments:

One final thought is that I noticed this loose screw later on in an image I took of the laptop before I messed around with anything. I’m not sure if this could be affecting anything.

I’d greatly appreciate any thoughts on what could be causing this problem and how I could possibly fix it. I’m out of ideas at this point.

Thank you in advance

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers