Problems reinstalling Windows on an Acer Aspire ZC107

Glosnick
Glosnick Member Posts: 4 New User

I was asked recently to look at an Acer Aspire ZC-107 as it's printer was not working and there was a suspected virus infection. So I figured the best approach was to wipe the machine and reinstall windows. When I attempted to boot the machine from a USB I was informed there was no boot media on my USB and I should insert a USB with boot media and press a key to try again. I tried with three different USBs but got the same response. I know these USB devices had boot media on them as they all worked on my HP laptop. I had a look in BIOS and disabled secure boot and enable the boot menu. As far as I could tell the machine was detecting the USB but failing to boot from it. I also tried reset Windows from the recovery menu but this failed as well. When I got home and tried to boot my HP laptop from one of the USBs I got a severe security warning. I tried getting support from Acer but the SNID was not recognised. I assume due to the age of the machine. I'm hoping that somebody in the Acer community might be able to help me please.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,279 Trailblazer
    edited July 24

Don’t know what boot USB drive you are using, but if the USB doesn’t boot then the boot files are corrupted. You need to construct a boot drive with Rufus 4.5 to construct a boot USB with the Win-10 .ISO files operating system on this Rufus boot USB, as its part of the Rufus boot USB construction, and then put this USB into the USB port of the Aspire ZC-107, then reboot the ZC-107, as then the Win-10 installation will start, it’s a very simple thing to do. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Glosnick

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate that constructing a bootable USB is a very simple thing to do and I tried three separate bootable USBs on the Acer machine. As I explained in my orignal post I know these USBs were not corrupted as they succesfully booted my HP laptop both before and after they failed to boot the Acer machine leading me to believe that the problem isn't with the USBs but with the Acer machine. The USBs I used were a Windows installer, Clonezilla and TAILS all of which should worked.

So I'm still wondering exactly why they failed to boot the Acer machine, an further advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,279 Trailblazer

You need to do the bootable installation process with the a Rufus USB as that will boot the Acer laptop, don't use anything else, as when you restart the Acer laptop with the bootable Rufus USB drive, then watch for a DOS like notification on the lesft side of the screen and press enter as that will start the boot process and Windows installation USB process will start, try that as it works for me all the time as I've done allot of clean installs of windows OS installations on laptops and desktops that don't have an OS on them, so I'm talking from experience as it should work for you. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Glosnick

Nice one. I'll certainly try that. Thanks for the advise.

Regards

Nick

• Glosnick

Dam can't spell this morning meant advice