I installed a system update and it made my Acer Nitro laptop unusable

michaelm987
michaelm987 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 19 in Nitro Gaming

Hello,

I'm sorry this post is so long, but it outlines extensive troubleshooting I've done.

I have an Acer Nitro V laptop that I bought brand new a few months ago. It came installed with Windows 11, but after I bought it, I did a clean install of Windows 11 from a USB drive, and then I installed all of the drivers from Acer's website.

The computer has always worked fine, with one exception. Something that would rarely happen is: when I would close the laptop to put it on sleep mode, and I would open it back up, rarely, the computer would just stay on a black screen no matter what keys I pressed or mouse clicks I did, so I would have to force shut down the computer by holding the power key for several seconds. Does this imply a possible hardware issue?

The following is the main problem. A couple of nights ago, I went to shut down my computer, and I saw that some Windows updates were required, so I chose "Update and Restart". The computer then restarted, and, this was unusual, it went to the Acer Nitro startup screen, and it said "Installing System Updates" with a progress bar. I think the computer shut down after it completed. After that, the next time I turned on the computer, it eventually gave me the frown face blue screen with the error code INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Then when I start up the computer again, it goes to a blue screen that says:

"Choose your keyboard layout."

I choose US.

On the next screen, the 2 options are:

1: "Troubleshoot: Reset your PC or see advanced options"

and

2: "Turn off your PC"

So I go to "Troubleshoot".

The 6 options on the next screen are:

1: "Startup Repair: Fix problems that keep Windows from loading"

2: "Command Prompt: Use the command prompt for advanced troubleshooting"

3: "Uninstall Updates: Remove recently installed quality or feature updates from Windows"

4: "UEFI Firmware Settings: Change settings in your PC's UEFI firmware"

5: "System Restore: Use a restore point recorded on your PC to restore Windows"

6: "System Image Recovery: Recover Windows using a specific system image file"

Option 1: When I select "Startup Repair", it goes to the Acer Nitro screen and says "Diagnosing your PC". After 5 seconds, it says "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC." It then gives me the option to shut down the computer, or go to Advanced Options. When I click "Advanced Options", it just goes back to the first screen where it says "Troubleshoot" and "Turn off your PC".

Option 2: I know what the Command Prompt is, and someone in another forum recommended some commands.

When I use the command prompt and type

bootrec /fixmbr

it says "The system cannot find the path specified".

If I type:

bootrec /fixboot

it also says "The system cannot find the path specified".

When I typed

bootrec /rebuildbcd

it said "Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
Please wait since this may take a while.
Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully."

Option 3: "Uninstall Updates". When I click Uninstall Updates, it gives me the options "Uninstall latest quality update", and "Uninstall latest feature update". When I choose "Uninstall latest quality update", it immediately sends me back to the starting screen where it says "Troubleshoot" and "Turn off your PC". If I select "Uninstall latest feature update", it goes to a screen explaining how uninstalling the latest feature update could fix problems I am having. And it gives me the options "Uninstall Feature Update" and "Cancel". When I select "Uninstall Feature Update", it almost instantly goes to a screen that says "We ran into a problem and won't be able to uninstall the latest feature update of Windows. Try resetting your PC instead."

Option 4: When I go to "UEFI Firmware Settings", it restarts the computer and opens up the BIOS. I'm not sure what options to change here. Is there a solution somewhere in the BIOS?

Option 5: I know what a System Restore Point is. I'm pretty sure I have not made a restore point in the entire time I've had the computer. And, when I choose System Restore, it gives me a red X window that says "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore."

Option 6: "System Image Recovery: Recover Windows using a specific image file". Not really sure about this one.

Does this sound like a hardware issue where I should use the warranty? Or is there a solution somewhere else?

Thank you for any help.

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,102 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

@michaelm987

Go to the BIOS by tapping F2 after pressing the power button. Navigate to the main tab, press CTRL + S, and either disable or enable the VMD controller.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers