How to use Predator Laptop Helios 3D model (PH3D15-71-94PP) SpatialLabs Edition to display 3D photos

dvail4319
dvail4319 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited July 20 in SpatialLabs

I recently purchased an Acer laptop computer, the Predator Helios 3D 15 SpatialLabs Edition, model PH3D15-71-94PP, mfg date 7/11/23.  This laptop has some amazing 3D display capabilities!  I am a 3D photographer, and I bought this laptop specifically to view the 3D photos that I take, using my various 3D cameras.  All the relevant apps, Windows 11, and device drivers (including the GPU) are all up to date.

However, I’m having some difficulties getting this laptop to operate correctly to meet my needs.  Unfortunately, the Acer tech support team is not familiar with this 3D laptop, and they are unable to answer any questions about its 3D capabilities.  They say that they do not support SpatialLabs software, because it is “third party software”, even though this software comes pre-installed on the laptop they sold me.  I am extremely disappointed with their lack of support for their product.  Their only suggestion was for me to try and contact SpatialLabs directly with my questions, but I do not have an email or phone contact for them, hence this posting.

I have had some limited success viewing my photos, but with some significant operational problems, as discussed below.  My questions are as follows:

1. Problems displaying a 3D image with the SpatialLabs “Go” application:  For some types of PC imaging software, why does the Go app display an error message that the image is not in full screen mode? According to the documentation for the Go app, if a 3D side-by-side still image is displayed in full screen mode, then the “Go” app can be activated by pressing [Alt + G], and the image should then be displayed in 3D.  However, only some applications seem to be compatible with this 3D display mode.  For example, I can use Microsoft Photos or Paint in this way, and the image is successfully displayed in 3D.  However, the application that I need to use to display 3D is the (free) “StereoPhoto Maker” (SPM) software, which is the standard 3D imaging editing application that I use.  (SPM is also commonly used by most other stereo photographers.)  When I use SPM to display a 3D side-by-side image in full screen mode, and then I press [Alt + G], there is an error message that the image is not in full screen mode (even though it really is!).  But if I use other software such as Microsoft Photos, I can choose 3D side-by-side, and the 3D image is displayed.
  2. Why does the “Go” app correctly display only (compressed) side-by-side half width (HSBS) photos, but not full SBS? The documentation for the Go app does not mention this limitation.  How will the Go app be compatible with the upcoming 3D camera from Acer, if full side by side photos cannot be correctly displayed by the Go app? So presently, displaying one of my 3D photos in 3D is very inefficient, requiring multiple steps.  First, I need to open the photo using SPM, then save a version of the photo in HSBS format, then open that saved version with Microsoft Photos in full screen mode, and finally press [Alt + G] to show the photo in 3D.  Is there a better method?
  3. Problems using the SpatialLabs “Player” software to display 3D photos:  How do I sequentially view several 3D side-by-side photos? Although the Player software documentation only mentions the Player software supporting viewing of 3D videos (not jpeg photos), in my experiments I noticed that Player will also display 3D still photos, including full SBS photos, if the photos are in standard jpeg SBS format.  However, the only way I have found to then display the next 3D photo in a folder is to individually select each photo file and then select SBS mode, which is very cumbersome.  Is there a way to just display the next photo, without having to individually select each photo file?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,444 Trailblazer
    edited July 20

There are guides on the SpatialLabs software, search the Acer Answers as there are guides like this and some others "How to Troubleshoot SpatialLabs Go Rendering Issues" its not specifically for your PH3D15-71 laptop but it will give you a general guide of what you might be looking for.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• dvail4319
    dvail4319 Member Posts: 4 New User

My questions are not yet answered.

• Hackness
    Hackness Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Regarding to your first question, some tweaking needs to be done in the regedit to overcome the annoying full screen check:

Search regedit in the start menu and run it as administrator, then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acer\SpatialLabs, look for a DWORD String named Fullscreen_Detection, change its decimal value from 1 to 0, after you have done that Spatiallabs go should launch under any condition after you press the shortcut (Default is Alt + G), the auto detection popup that asks you about the source is 2D or SBS still works.

Regarding to your 2nd and 3rd question:

I believe you can still display full SBS images in 3D using Spatiallabs Go's SBS mode, but it is going to give you huge black boarders on the top and bottom (Letterboxing), after you have done editing the regedit to overcome the full screen check, you can load your full-width SBS photos with your preferred photo viewing applications and run Spatiallabs Go in SBS mode, just remember to place the split line in the middle of the whole screen for 3D to work correctly. But I think half-width SBS images still work best with this laptop, as the screen format is 3840 x 2160 and in 3D mode it will become 1920 x 2160 + 1920 x 2160.

• Hackness

Tinkerer

Today there is an update for the Spatiallabs Player, you can play website videos by entering the web address and also you can view photos in 2D, full SBS or Half SBS, but there is a small bug, when playing videos or web videos, the cursor keeps popping up and it brings up the control interface every 5 seconds even without touching the mouse, it's pretty annoying

• Pearce39
    Pearce39 Member Posts: 49 Troubleshooter

Thanks for the heads up

Would be nice to have all release notes but that seems too complicated for Acer and they have no interaction in this forum and not sure why

• Hackness

Tinkerer

Their release note is pretty simple, I'll link it here:
    https://d3kbld5mjap5ss.cloudfront.net/SpatialLabsReleaseNotes/SLEC_Service_ReleaseNotes_Predator.pdf

• Pearce39
    Pearce39 Member Posts: 49 Troubleshooter

Is this just for the laptop because I didn't get any update for the player. I'm using the portable monitor

• Hackness

Tinkerer

edited August 9

Mine is laptop version.

This update is mainly about adding the feature for Spatiallabs software to work with the Spatiallabs Eyes Camera, that Spatiallabs Eyes Camera was a big announcement so I think the update should come pretty soon for the monitor version also.

• Maplefarmer
    Maplefarmer Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Problems displaying a 3D image with the SpatialLabs “Go” application:  For some types of PC imaging software, why does the Go app display an error message that the image is not in full screen mode?

Hey! Just a heads-up, if you use the latest SpatialLabs Experience Center v1.4.374 with StereoPhoto Maker v631, it works without any error messages. Go ahead and update via OTA or download the latest version from the support site. Also, make sure it’s in full screen, not just a full window.

Why does the “Go” app correctly display only (compressed) side-by-side half width (HSBS) photos, but not full SBS?

Apparently SpatialLabs Go supports half side-by-side, but full side-by-side is a bit of a limitation. I’d recommend using Player to view the content instead.

Problems using the SpatialLabs “Player” software to display 3D photos:  How do I sequentially view several 3D side-by-side photos?

After you download the latest SpatialLabs Experience Center . I’d also suggest using the updated Player.

I downloaded from here:

Download

support.acer.com