Nitro ANV15-51 boot failure after BIOS update (inaccessible boot device)

Garmacor
Garmacor Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I have an issue I never met with, and which leaves me stranded..

Last night, NitroSense downloaded a BIOS update, which installed successfully. Since I restarted the computer, Windows 11 gives a BSOD with the message "inaccessible boot device." The built-in recovery options are ineffective, disabling secure boot does not help, and I cannot see the SATA settings in the BIOS (they are not there at all). There is only a UEFI boot option, no legacy, or at least I assume so because I cannot make this setting changeable. The BIOS sees the hard drive, but in the command prompt, it says there is no volume when I try to list it. What could be the solution? Is it possible to somehow boot from the hard drive again, or should I forget about it, back up the hard drive's contents, and reinstall Windows? The local Acer support did not understand the above, they just told me to reinstall...

I cannot update Windows using a USB, as the installer does not allow it at all. The automatic repair does not work, it does not see the SSD (which the BIOS does see), so I cannot restore it either. At the moment, I have no other idea than to back up the data, quickly sell the laptop, and avoid the brand in the future, but I would be glad if someone could help. :(

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer

What is the Nitro model laptop that you are having this problem with? As you never ever allow any software to update your bios as what you are experiencing is what happens, a bios update should only be updated from the official Acer support site for your Nitro laptop model. Have a look at this guide “How to Fix the Inaccessible Boot Device Error in Windows” and see if any of these steps will recover the boot drive for your Nitro laptop.

If the above doesn’t fix the boot drive recognition, and seeing that you have attempted to recover the drive in a few ways, I suggest that you back up the data on the drive and try and do a clean install of windows 11 by constructing an installation USB with Rufus 4.5 and then putting the Win-11 OS 23H2 ,ISO on this USB and insert the USB into the laptops port and reboot the laptop so that the Win-11 installation starts, and you can reinstall Win-11 onto this laptop. Good luck and hope this helps you out and let us know how you go.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Garmacor

Tinkerer

Hello there!

Thank you for your answer, I will try it. The model is the one in the name of the topic. For the update. I not updated with a random bios, BTW shy should I update anything without need?, I have not been asked to update. NitroSense downloaded it and asked me to restart after the update. I think this is an official software. since it named Acer NitroSense. What can be more official?

• Garmacor

Tinkerer

I found the solution:

My laptop has an NVMe SSD installed by default, so I can confirm that the following solution works with this type of drive.

Steps:

1. Set Supervisor Password:
      • I set a supervisor password in the BIOS.
    2. Disable Secure Boot:
      • I disabled the Secure Boot option.
    3. Access Hidden BIOS Settings:
      • Pressing the Ctrl + S key combination made additional BIOS settings available.
    4. Disable Intel VMD:
      • I disabled Intel VMD.

Voilà, the problem was resolved, and the operating system booted up.

Note:

I regret that I couldn't find this information all in one place anywhere. Performing the above steps effectively solves the problem.

• Erop
    Erop Member Posts: 1 New User

Thank you very much, I encountered the same problem myself and with the help of your answer I was able to solve it

• byjamesmars
    byjamesmars Member Posts: 1 New User

It served for me too! thanks mate!