Seeking for Windows 11 compatible motherboard for Aspire XC-705

Crofty
Crofty Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, my Father has an old Aspire XC-705 desktop running Windows 10 which has a manufactured date of 15/10/16. Although it has an I5 processor it is not compatible with Windows 11. I suspect because the motherboard does not have a TPM module. Does anyone know whether there is a replacement motherboard for this machine that will enable an upgrade to WIN11?
Thanks
Jeff

[Edited the thread to add model name and issue detail to the title]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Not really, most of the Acer models in the XC/TC model lines use a modified DTX form factor motherboard that has an extension out the front to bring the ports to the case without cabling. That means if you want access to front ports you pretty much need another Acer motherboard, and the easiest way to get that is with a newer machine. That system is a 4th gen Intel based and Windows 11 requires 8th gen or newer. Look for what used systems that are in the four or five year old range are going for if you aren't able to just upgrade to a new machine. You can get a new system from Acer that's the current equivalent of this one for under $600 and a recertified one that's a year or so old for around $300…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Not really, most of the Acer models in the XC/TC model lines use a modified DTX form factor motherboard that has an extension out the front to bring the ports to the case without cabling. That means if you want access to front ports you pretty much need another Acer motherboard, and the easiest way to get that is with a newer machine. That system is a 4th gen Intel based and Windows 11 requires 8th gen or newer. Look for what used systems that are in the four or five year old range are going for if you aren't able to just upgrade to a new machine. You can get a new system from Acer that's the current equivalent of this one for under $600 and a recertified one that's a year or so old for around $300…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Marty11
    Marty11 Member Posts: 119 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

@Crofty

I have identified a way around the TPM module requirement.

If your machine has enough processing power and memory (an i5 and 8 GB should suffice) then you could run Win 11 within a virtual machine for which there are no TPM requirements.

Have a look here:

• Crofty

Thanks for advice. I will loook at

Thanks for advice. I did suspect the form factor was a bit different. I will look at second hand machines which should be good enough for Win11 and further win upgrades.

• Crofty
    edited July 12

Thanks Marty11,

I think its probably not the best solution for my Dad as I can see myself getting called out for other issues which he would not understand. I would like to thank you for taking the time to reply though. Interesting solution.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,615 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Buy new and let your dad enjoy.