Can I install an additional 2T SSD PCIe 4.0 SSD to NITRO5 an515-57-74QQ ?

readingdog
readingdog Member Posts: 2 New User

I have bought a 2T SSD PCIe 4.0 SSD and installed it on my laptop, when I checked the Win11 disk manager, only the original 1T SSD is available. And the newly installed 2T does not show in the panel. Am I making any mistake in this case? I do not check the compatibility with the specifications before buying this new SSD. What other procedures am I missing?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,649 Trailblazer
    edited July 10

Slot #1 on the picture below (left) can handle PCIe NVMe Gen4 drives while #2 slot (at the right on picture) supports PCIe NVMe Gen3 and SATA drives. Samsung 980Pro or 990EVO 2TB SSDS are fast NVMe Gen4 drives and The Samsung 970Evo Plus is a compatible Gen3 SSD.

NVMe Gen4 SSDs are backward compatible and should be detected in the 2nd PCIe 3x4 Slot, did you try to change Sata mode in BIOS from RST-Optane to AHCI yet? Did you update BIOS to latest version 1.20?

• readingdog
    readingdog Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you very much for your help!

I have updated Bios to 1.2 and when I go to the device manager I find the new SSD installed in slot 2 is missing, only the original SSD in slot 1 is shown as the screen cap attached. I have used an external case as an external storage device to connect the new SSD to my notebook before I installed it in the slot and it works prefect. So what else I could do in this case?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,649 Trailblazer

Is Sata set to AHCI in BIOS? Install a 1TB NVMe Gen3 like the Samsung 970Evo Plus that was tested in this model and use the 2TB WD SSD as an external backup drive perhaps.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,859 Trailblazer

Have a look in Disk Management as the new 2TB M.2 SSD should be showing there, then initialize the drive and give it a drive letter as then it will be shown in windows file explorer.

The 2TB Gen4 x4 M.2 SSD drive is backward compatible in the AN515-57 SSD2 slot and it will work 100% but will only have 50% of the read/write seeds speeds of the Gen4x4 speeds that the 2TB M.2 SSD was designed for, as your Nitro 5 AN515-57 laptop has an SSD1 Gen4x4 and a SSD2 slave slot at Gen3x4, as described and shown above. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍