Killer Ethernet Gigabit not reaching speed. I am using Acer Aspire XC-830.

Khairi90
Khairi90 Member Posts: 1 New User

i am subscribing 500Mbps unifi however cannot reach speed as per desired using speedtest ookla. only reaching speed within 200Mbps using cable cat 7 (LAN2). i have double check with provider and there was no issue from their part. Technician do come to check and from their test my line can reach nearly 500Mbps. How could have been wrong with my PC? I am using Acer Aspire XC-830.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,509 Pathfinder

If your technician has confirmed that the line can reach nearly 500Mbps, but you're not seeing those speeds on your Acer Aspire XC-830 PC, there are a few things you can check and troubleshoot:

1. Network Adapter Capability: Ensure that your network adapter on the Acer Aspire XC-830 supports speeds up to 1Gbps. Even though your connection is 500Mbps, network adapters are usually rated for 1Gbps (1000Mbps) and should handle 500Mbps easily. However, older or budget models might have slower adapters.
    2. Check Network Adapter Settings:
      • Speed and Duplex: Make sure your network adapter settings are configured to auto-negotiate speed and duplex. This ensures it can adapt to the maximum speed supported by your router.
      • Drivers: Update your network adapter drivers to the latest version provided by Acer's support website. Sometimes outdated drivers can cause speed issues.
    3. Cable Quality: Although you're using Cat 7 cable, ensure the cable is in good condition and properly terminated at both ends. A damaged or poorly made cable can degrade performance.
    4. Router Configuration: Check your router's configuration to ensure there are no limitations or QoS settings that might be limiting the speed to your PC.
    5. Network Load and Testing Environment:
      • Test your speed at different times of the day to rule out network congestion during peak hours.
      • Perform speed tests using different speed test servers to verify consistency.
    6. PC Performance: Check if any background applications or processes on your PC are consuming excessive network bandwidth. Also, ensure your PC's overall performance is adequate to handle high-speed internet connections.
    7. Hardware Limitations: While less likely, consider that your PC might have hardware limitations that prevent it from achieving the full 500Mbps speed. This could be due to older hardware components not fully supporting modern high-speed networks.

By systematically checking these aspects, you should be able to identify if there's a specific issue causing the slower speeds on your Acer Aspire XC-830 PC despite a high-speed connection being available.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,630 Trailblazer

The internal Ethernet of the Aspire XC-830 has the Killer E2600 chip that has an Ethernet protocol of 10/100/1000 Mbps, so that 500MB/s Ethernet speed is achievable thorough the Killer E2600 of your desktop. Update the Ethernet Killer E2600 driver to the latest driver dated 12/03/2024 version 1168.18.312.2024 and see if the Killer E2600 Ethernet speeds will improve, if not then the LAN chip in your XC-830 is faulty and you will need to buy a PCIe LAN card as an alternative.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Do a HARD Reset on your adapter/router via the reset button. Hold it for 30 seconds at least.

If not check the settings within for limitations as it maybe too old.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Several years ago, the hard reset worked for me to recognize the speed change.

It'll take maybe 30 minutes to reboot.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,640 Trailblazer

What router do you have? Often that is the bottleneck for internet speeds…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.