Acer TMP 645-S no display when powering on.

TheRussianParrot
TheRussianParrot Member Posts: 3 New User

MODEL:ACER TMP 645-S. It used to work fine till one day I went to turn it on and the power button lit up, the keyboard lit up, and the indicator light thingys on the side of the laptop turned on too, but the display just glowed on the sides, it looked like it turned on but there was no splash screen or anything. The laptop just stayed like this untill i held down the power button to shut it off. It didn't turn itself off. If I plugged in or turned off the power, it made the noise, so it WAS on, just no display. I tried restarting using another hard drive or boot usb. No display. Please tell there's an easy DIY way to fix this without spending a lot. Thanks

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,159 Trailblazer

2015 laptop, if you never replaced the battery after 9 years do that now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195315632257 but first reset your battery by sticking a pin in the small pinhole at the back (see picture) and press till you feel a click, keep pressing for 3 seconds and remove the pin, try to boot.

• TheRussianParrot

Tried it a few times but it still doesn't work :/

• TheRussianParrot

i removed the battery and just used it off of the charger but still just not working. I tried the RAM too different sticks, or just removing it, nothing.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,640 Trailblazer

Since you see no splash screen we know either the display has failed or the video isn't getting initialized during POST. Do you hear any beeps at all? If not then it's likely not even starting POST. The simple way that can happen is sometimes when the CMOS battery fails it corrupts the BIOS to the extent that POST doesn't start. Replaced the CMOS battery and try to boot into the BIOS. If you are able to do that then use the F9 to reset to defaults, then F10 to save and exit. See if it will boot normally then.

If replacing the CMOS battery doesn't change anything then it's likely not worth going through the rest of the diagnosis process, since a repair will cost much more than the laptop is worth. Likely the data on the HDD is still good, so everything can be recovered, but your best next step is to purchase a replacement laptop.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.