RE: Nitro50-656 EB Motherboard PSU upgrade.

Seriously
Seriously Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi Folks, Love what yo udo here. I am looking to upgrade my GPU to a Gigabyte Geforce RTX3060 and need to also upgrade the PSU to accommodate the new GPU. I have chosen the Corsair RM850 as the new supply. Here is a photo of the new PSU with the outputs numbered for ID.

The motherboard has only 2 connections, one being up in the lefthand corner of the board,

The other being to the top right, just to the right of the memory sticks.

There is also a connector on the RTX3060 which I think should be a PCIe connection.

Can anyone suggest to me which connections from the PSU go to where on the motherboard?

Also, there is a 4 pin header on the motherboard just below the sata connections. Does anyone have any idea what these are for?

Any answers would be appreciated. apologies for the large photos.

Thank you, in advance, for any answers that may shed light on this. Thank you

Will

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,621 Trailblazer
    edited July 6

Which Nitro N50-656-URXX model do you have, as this desktop is only a new model and comes with a 14th Gen Intel CPU and an RTX4060 gpu and has a 500W PSU in the Nitro 50 Gaming Desktop - N50-656-UR15 new model.

Try and get the oem gpu that either is the RTX 3060 or the new RTX4060 gpu as these gpu's are made to run on the acer proprietary 500W PSU that your N50-656 has, contact Acer in your country and see which RTX 30 series is suitable for the 500W PSU that your N50-656 model desktop has. As adding a modular Corsair 850W PSU to your N50-656 mainboard is not suitable with the proprietary Acer PSU that your desktop came with from Acer, and adding adapters to connect the Corsair 850W PSU could damage the Acer mainboard with its 6 pin and 8 pin connectors that the N50-656 mainboard has, so be very careful as adding these adapter connectors could be a fire hazard with a more powerful PSU. You would be much better off upgrading the mainboard to an appropriate mainboard that suits the Corsair 850W PSU. Good luck and hope this has helped you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Seriously
    Seriously Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi Steven. Thank you for your thoughts on my question. I took your advice and returned the 850. I also upgraded the cooling fan to a "Hyper 212 Halo Black" 4 pipe, direct contact fan. Dropped the cpu temp by more than 10 Deg. with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

Thank you, Will