Aspire 515-56 CPU stuck running at 0.18 GHz in Windows ONLY

robman501a
robman501a Member Posts: 49 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited July 5 in Aspire Laptops

A friend of mine dropped his laptop over for me to take a look at. He said it takes forever to do anything. So, I fired it up and yes, it took forever to get to the Windows desktop. I've opened up task manager and clicked on the CPU tab, and instead of running at 3.00 GHZ, it's only running at 0.18 GHz!!

What I've done was used HWinfo64 to check the CPU temp. It was ~40c. Not overheating, so thermal throttling is out.

Booted Windows in Safe Mode, CPU running at full speed!! Hmm…. that's interesting.

Back to Windows in "normal" mode….. 0.18 GHz.

The power plan is set to keep the CPU running at 100%, so why is it throttling down so much?

Booted Ubuntu…… CPU running at full speed.

So, is this a driver issue with Windows 11? If so, what would I be looking at?

Would a complete reinstall of Windows 11 correct this problem or is it something else?

So, what I've ruled out here, it's not a hardware issue. Obviously a software problem.

What I find really strange is that when you pull the power plug, the battery won't engage when this is happening. The system won't even turn on when the power cord is removed.

Windows 11 Home, version 10.0.22631 Build 22631

Insyde BIOS V1.35, 2023-07-10

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,150 Trailblazer

Could it be the Dual Boot? What is the RAM available? Check in Task Manager-Processes what is installed, if loads of background apps (should be around 60) uninstall some of the pre-installed bloatware, 3rd-party browsers, AV programs and all trial versions. Try Balanced Power plan and reset to factory default in "Edit Power Plan". You can also boot in Safe (clean) Boot with MSconfig.exe and disable the non-Windows services, click on "Apply" and OK and then reinstall some of the services after each reboot (tedious job) till the system slows down.

• robman501a

No, I don't think it's any of those.

One thing I don't understand is that I left it unplugged for a day, then the cpu was running at full speed for about 5 minutes, then it clocked down.

I've read somewhere that it could be a driver telling the UEFI to clock down the cpu, not sure if that's accurate.

Would a full reinstall of Windows help?

I've tried resetting the BIOS to optimized defaults but that didn't work.

• robman501a

For the drivers, since the ones provided by Acer are a year old, should I grab the ones from Intel instead for the chipset, graphics, etc. or just use the ones offered by Windows update?

• robman501a

I'm doing a full reset this PC and it seems to be taking a long time. I hope the CPU isn't running at 0.18 GHz, but I do hear the fans, so that's a good sign. I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see what happens.

• robman501a
    edited July 7

Hey, does it mean anything that the battery indicator keeps flashing orange?

• Handler3130
    Handler3130 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 27

ORIGINAL TEXT

Tengo el mismo problema cambio el plan de energía y sigue igual en equilibrado no sé si ya han solucionado esto pero tengo un mes así y no doy solución eh intentado de todo en cuestión de software solo con un programa puedo usarla con uno que se llama throttling pero es muy feo tener que iniciar para abrir el programa y así usar la laptop mi modelo es 315-58 ya tiene la última actualización de BIOS v135

TRANSLATED

I have the same problem, I change the power plan and it remains the same in balance. I don't know if they have already solved this but I have had this for a month and I can't find a solution. I've tried everything in terms of software. I only have one program and I can use it with one called throttling. but it is very ugly to have to start to open the program and thus use the laptop, my model is 315-58 and already has the latest BIOS update v135

[Edited the content using Google translator]