Swift 1 SF114-32-C19L boot issue. There are no options to change boot order in boot manager

Options
giuoyo
giuoyo Member Posts: 9 New User
edited July 4 in Swift and Spin Series

I've added a new, cloned SSD to my Swift 1 SF114-32-C19L. I've tried booting into new drive but when I get into boot manager there are no options to change boot order.

When I boot into exiting sytem drive I can't see SSD showing.

Any ideas?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 12,447 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi @giuoyo To have two Windows systems on a computer and obtain a dual boot, you must start the installation of the second Windows from the first and in addition, it must be a higher version, that is, to have a dual between Windows 10 and Windows 11, you must install Windows 11 on a computer with Windows 10, if you install Windows 10 on a computer with Windows 11, the dual boot will not be created and you will also lose the boot of Windows 11.

All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (alezmvp)

• giuoyo
    Options

Thank you Alejandro_AC - I only want to boot from newer SSD - happy to delete the contents of the old one.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 12,447 Trailblazer
    Options

You then have to delete all the information from the previous disk, this will also destroy the bootable boot, as the second disk is a clone, it may not boot on its own.
    To restore the bootable boot to the new disk, you must start an installation on that Windows disk and abort it on the first reboot, this will rebuild the boot.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (alezmvp)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,536 Trailblazer
    Options

No need to jump through those hoops. Just go into the BIOS and enable the boot menu, then hit F12 at boot to get the choice of which to boot from. The system will remember that choice. If you are only switching to a new boot device and plan to stay there, once you are booted from it you can use Disk Management to remove all the partitions off the old drive, then create one big data partition on it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • giuoyo
    Options

When I press F12 it does not give me a choice of disks to boot from, and I cannot see new drive in disk management.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,517 Trailblazer
    Options

The SF114-32 has provisions for a 1x M.2 SSD PCIe3x4 type drive and a 1x 2.5" SATA drive and a soldered 64eMMC drive. If you have the old OS on the 2.5" SATA drive and you cloned the windows OS onto a new M.2 PCIe3x4 SSD drive then to boot to the new M.2 SSD drive you need to take the old 2.5" SATA drive out first, as if you don't, the laptop always boots from the old OS and drive.

SF114-32 storage subsystems

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• giuoyo
    Options

Existing storage is 64 GB - I think soldered on.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,536 Trailblazer
    Options

Did you enable the boot menu in the BIOS? It is disabled by default. If it's enabled then the F12 will give you a menu listing all valid boot devices.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.