SF314-511 Acer swift 3 motherboard. has a charging issue with two lights blinking while plugging in

Options
Joel_
Joel_ Member Posts: 7 New User
edited July 4 in Swift and Spin Series

A few days ago, my swift 3 model (SF314-511) has a charging issue with two lights (orange and blue light) blinking while plugging in. I thought that was just a problem with the old battery or loose charger issues and end up not worrying too much about it as the charging was still working (still got increasing battery percentage). However, my laptop couldnt be charged anymore after a few times of charging.

I brought to the nearby laptop service shop to check and found out that the integrated circuit was completely damaged. I have been told that the only way to recover my device is to change the whole motherboard.

I have a few questions here:

1.is there any other ways that I could possibly recover my laptop without changing the whole motherboard?

2. If so, where can I get the motherboard for this acer model? Is it worth the value for motherboard replacement of this model?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,536 Trailblazer
    Options

I tend to take what a local repair shop says with a grain of salt… Are you using the charger with the little barrel connector or a USB-C charger? If one, have you tried the other type? The DC-In jack and USB-C port are soldered to the motherboard, so it's tough to harm them. If the MB does need to be replaced then we will need to know how yours was populated. i3, i5, i7, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB? If you can give us the first ten digits of the SNID (and only the first ten) we can usually lookup the SKU to get the part numbers for the MB.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Joel_
    edited July 5
    Options

@billsey I have tried using USB-C charger and it actually works! My laptop is now functional. It just that the DC charger still not working on my laptop. What could possibly causes the DC charging to be faulty, while the Type C port still working? Is it still the motherboard issues?

I'm pretty sure it's not the charger problem, since the shop had tried out different DC connectors to charge my laptop, but still not working.

My device model - Acer swift 3 SF314-511 / SF314-43

My first 10 digits SNID - xxxxxxxxxxx

My device is equipped with AMD Ryzen 5000 series, 8 GB RAM.

Another issue is that the error message keeps popping up every time I switch on my laptop, as shown in the image below. I'm not sure whether this is related to the motherboard issues or not, or maybe it could be another issues with the hardware or something else...

Kindly need your help to save my laptop 🥺

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive content]

• Joel_
    Options

AMD Ryzen 5 5000 series*

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,963 Pathfinder
    edited July 5
    Options

@Joel_

Charging and power lights blinking means the charger is faulty (The DC charger in this case.) Try to get a new DC charger.

For the Visual C++ Library Assertion error, check this fix: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-visual-c-runtime-library-x-assertion/6ffd2552-defa-4682-aeea-6305853b4b66

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Joel_
    Options

@AnhEZ28 appreciate the information...

At least I can tell that this error message isnt the hardware issues.

Is it because of the faulty DC charger? Recently I just brought my laptop for repair and the technician plugged in different DC chargers to check the battery status. But still, the charging light didnt light up.

• Joel_
    Options

Appreciate the information @AnhEZ28 , at least I can tell that this error message isnt the hardware issues...

Are you sure that the DC charger is faulty? Cuz I brought my laptop for repair recently and the technician had plugged in different DC chargers to check the battery status. But still, the charging indicator didn't light up.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,963 Pathfinder
    Options

@Joel_

If the technician tried a new charger and still doesn't work, the DC port is broken probably.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Joel_
    Options

@AnhEZ28 will look through it...

I am concerned that some components or perhaps the DC port might have burned because the laptop overheats everytime during charging, especially around the DC port and the area around the 'Esc' key. Probably caused by faulty old battery as well...

Anyway thanks for helping.

• illashiza
    illashiza Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

1. Unfortunately, if the integrated circuit is damaged, replacing the motherboard is usually the only viable solution.
    2. You can check with Acer authorized service centers or reputable online retailers for the SF314-511 motherboard. Evaluate the cost of replacement against the value and age of your laptop to decide if it's worth it.

• Joel_
    Options

@illashiza

Thats what I'm confusing right now 😅

The technician told me that the IC is damaged but the laptop is still functional upon charging with Type C port...

Not sure whether the issue is caused by faulty IC motherboard, battery or just the DC port...

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,536 Trailblazer
    Options

The DC input port is soldered to the motherboard. The USB-C port is also soldered, and adjacent to the DC input. They do have different circuits though, since the USB-C is used for more than just charging. You might have a chip that's fried that is a support for the DC input, which the only connection to the input power from the USB-C being after than point. We don't have access to schematics for the laptop, so can't tell for sure how they have the charging circuits laid out. If it's working with the USB-C charger and you are out of warranty, I'd suggest just continue to use it until you are ready for a new system. Repair costs without access to schematics are likely going to be high.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.