Worried I installed RAM incorrectly into my Acer Aspire a515-44 laptop (model no. is N18Q13)

Options
MackyBee
MackyBee Member Posts: 3 New User
edited July 3 in Aspire Laptops

I just tried installing 8 GB of SO-DIMM RAM (DDR4) into my Acer Aspire a515-44 laptop (model no. is N18Q13). I was following a tutorial, and all was going well until I lined up the pins and pushed down to try and click it into place. I heard a click but noticed the rods on either side were angled, which they weren't like that to begin with. I'm wondering whether I may have installed it incorrectly and if so, whether I have damaged the RAM slot at all. As it stands right now, I'm currently unable to remove the card from the slot, nor can I move the clips. Any help would be appreciated as soon as possible.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,929 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, you probably forced the RAM slot contacts or the module and I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country, the warranty may be expired for this 2020 model so be prepared for some expenses. The RAM module after the CPU is the most important component in a PC and bad RAM contacts will stop the booting.

• MackyBee
    Options

Is there anything I should know about installing the RAM on this particular model if I intend on trying to do this again? I feel like there's some crucial information I'm missing.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,929 Trailblazer
    Options

I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country, inserting a new RAM module is a very easy job, unless you misalign the contacts or force an incompatible module in the slot. The spring bracket to secure the RAM module can also break, then needs to be replaced.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,492 Trailblazer
    edited July 3
    Options

Allot of the time different manufacturers ram modules don't fit exactly into the ram slot and you need to wriggle the module until it seats properly into the ram slot and push the ram down into the slot, which your ram looks like it needs doing, as the side clips are not securing the ram into its slot, so try that first.

If not then the Crucial ram module that you got has a faulty size and will not fit "don't force the ram module into the slot" as you will damage the pins and then you will need major repairs to be done. I recommend that you either change the Crucial ram or get the Acer recommended type ram for this laptop which are listed below from the A5155-44 service guide. Also, you can upgrade this laptop to either 20GB or 24GB max capacity ram as your laptop has either got 4GB or 8GB soldered onboard ram. Good luck and hope this helps you out some more.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• MackyBee
    Options

Thank you for the advice! I was able to wiggle the card out and into a better fit and upon reinstalling the card, it was able to clip into place perfectly. I've had no major issues regarding RAM upon installing the card.