Can 3rd party charger cause my Nitro AN515-55 to crash when I start a game or GPU intensive program

Options
RedDragon1214
RedDragon1214 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2 in Nitro Gaming

Hi;

I Have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55 53 laptop with an I5-10300H and RTX 3050 GPU .

When ever I start a game about 30 secs Into the game both power and charging lights start flashing and the computer just shuts itself off until I hold the power button for about 15 to 30 secs than will start up normally on some games if I lower the graphics settings and resolution to the lowest possible they might run or might not.

I bought a 3rd party charger from amazon to replace the original one that came with the laptop due to I cant locate it.

could that charger be the cause of this or is it more likely that its something dying on the board and time for a replacment laptop?

I also replaced the battery as it was totally dead and would not charge.

the new battery charged finally but only after it went through that shutdown thing in a game and I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in than about 5 mins later the battery is fully charged.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,918 Trailblazer
    edited July 2
    Options

The laptop comes with a 135-W charger like this:

Acer claims it can sustain 180-Watt power with this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/IBATTS-DL90190474-180W-19-5V-9-23A-Charger-for-Acer-Nitro-5-Gaming-Laptop-AN515-58-AN515-57-AN515-55-AN515-54-AN515-58-57Y8-AN515-58-525P-AN515-57-79TD-AN515-55-53E5-54-5812-Power-Supply-Adapter-ADP-180TB-ADP-180MB-K/dp/B0C2PXQSD5 Also run a battery report to check the battery condition and charging over the last 3 days, if it does not charge to 100% I recommend to replace it, paste this in the command prompt: powercfg /batteryreport and open it with Edge browser, right click and select "Print to Microsoft PDF" (all pages), you can get a new battery here: https://www.amazon.com/AN515-54-AN517-51-AN517-52-AN515-55-PH317-53/dp/B07B4842RJ Make sure you are not using battery monitors or Acer's battery charge limiter/calibration features in Acer Care/AcerSense and leave the adapter plugged in 24/7 and make sure the battery is always 100% charged. You need to do one Full Charge Cycle with a new battery for Windows to register the capacity otherwise you can get unexpected power failures and charging issues, reset BIOS with F9 in BIOS and save changes on exit BIOS, boot to Windows and uninstall these 2 battery drivers (red circle)

Disable Hibernate and Fast Startup in "Change what closing the lid does" and in "Change settings current unavailable". Uninstall all 3rd-party browsers, freebees, trial versions and AV programs and shut down properly with the start icon on the task bar and close the lid. Plug in the adapter and charge the battery to 100%. watch the amber battery LED change to blue and wait 10 minutes, Open the lid and boot to Windows, check that the battery meter on the task bar read 100% and unplug the power adapter. Work till the laptop turns off automatically, do not close the lid, suspend or touch the sleep and power buttons till the system has fully shut down (LEDs are off). Best not to have anything connected to the laptop like monitors, mice, USB drives, docking station/hubs and audio/BT during this process. Plug in the power adapter and charge again till the amber LED turns blue and wait 10 minutes, do not open the lid before that. That's it. You have to repeat this procedure after reinstalling Windows.

• RedDragon1214
    RedDragon1214 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2
    Options

I did all that now it wont charge back up at all and its still doing that both lights flashing and beeping every 3 seccs or so this is why I honestly believe its a hardware problem and needs to be replaced no matter what I do it will charge under a very specific set of circustmstances thats if it beeps and both lights are flashing once in awhile when I unplug it and than plug it back in the charge light keeps flashing than it charges but under no other circumstance does it charge at all.

It also has a new battery and charger.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,489 Trailblazer
    Options

The below list are all the Acer listed adapters for the Nitro 5 AN515-55 laptop, the oem adapter that are provided for your laptop are the appropriate adapter that you should use and if there are any power or charging issues it could either be from a faulty adapter, battery or the laptops main power rail or charging rail that needs an experienced technician to analyze and fix. Connecting a 3rd party adapter is not recommended as it could be a fire hazard and/or could damage your laptop, so be very careful. Good luck.

Acer listed Power adapters for the Nitro 5 AN515-55

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍