Aleksey
Aleksey Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited 3:12AM in Swift and Spin Series

and the indicator is orange all the time

So it does not charge over 86%

Initially it was at 100%

Laptop works for 3 years, almost never worked from battery for a long time

What does it all mean? Should I replace the battery?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,840 Trailblazer
    Options

3 years old battery could have developed 1 bad cell, best to run a Battery report with the command prompt: powercfg /batteryreport open the report with Edge browser, right click and select "Print to Microsoft PDF" all pages. Attach the PDF file to your reply, type @Puraw at the top.

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 345
    Options

Kindly follow the steps belows:-

These are the basic steps that you need to follow.

Power Drain test for laptop. If your computer is not having the inbuilt battery follow these steps.

1. Turn off the laptop. Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.
    2. Remove the battery if it is not inbuilt.
    3. Hold the power button for 50 seconds.
    4. Connect all the cables back
    5. Turn on the computer.

Steps to remove the battery.

1. Turn off the computer. Remove all the cables and devices including power cable
    2. Turn the laptop upside down. Flip the laptop. On the back of laptop there will be a unlock switch. You need to move the switch to the left or right and then you need to pull the battery door out.If your computer is having an inbuilt battery follow these steps.

Power Drain test.

1. Turn off the laptop. Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.
      Flip the laptop. On the back of the laptop there will be a tiny hole. It is called a battery reset hole. There will be a battery symbol right next to the hole.
    2. You need to insert a paper clip or small pin gently inside the hole and hold it for 30 seconds.
    3. Plug all the cables back and turn on the computer.

Step 2:-

Bios Defaults.

1. Turn on the computer and keep on tapping f2. It will go to bios setup utility
    2. Press f9 once on the bios setup screen. It will show you bios defaults. Please press yes.
    3. Press f10 on the bios setup screen. It will show you "yes" to save the changes. Please press yes.

Computer will automatically restart and it will load windows.

If the above steps are not helping you to resolve the issue, please follow the steps below:-

Step 1

Run Power Troubleshooter
    Sometimes you can fix this problem simply by running the power troubleshooter. To run the power troubleshooter, you need to do the following:

1. Press Windows Key + S and enter troubleshoot. Select Troubleshoot from the menu.
    2. Choose Power from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter button

Now follow the instructions on the screen.
    Once the troubleshooter is finished, check if the problem is resolved.

Step 2

Update Battery Driver
    It might be the case that you need to update your battery driver. Reinstalling the battery driver will usually fix batteries that aren’t recharging. You can do that as follows.

Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Now choose Device Manager from the list.

Now click Batteries in the Device Manager window.
    Next, you should right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall from the context menu.

Click Uninstall to confirm

Click Action and then select Scan for hardware changes from there.
    Select Batteries and right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery again. Select the Update Driver Software option from the context menu.

A window opens from which you should select Search automatically for updated driver software. Windows will then find suitable battery drivers for you.
    If you are not able to see Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery available in their list of devices.
    If that’s so, be sure to uninstall the device in your Battery section in Device Manager and reinstall its drivers.

Step 3

If the battery is removable,
    Removing and reinserting the battery could feasibly get it charging again. So switch off the laptop and remove the battery by sliding the battery release latch. Reinsert the battery after about five minutes and then restart Windows.

If the above steps are helpful for you please click "like"
    If the above steps resolves your issue please click "yes"

• Aleksey

Tinkerer

Options
  • Puraw
    Options

Hi,
    There is no drainage profile and no charge information recorded, it could be a faulty SMART chip inside the battery or BIOS and MS ACPI drivers that need resetting. First check if you have AcerSense and Acer Care Center running with the 80% battery charge limiter and battery Calibration options, if so, uninstall these programs in Windows "Add or remove programs" and after rebooting verify in Windows Services if accSVC and AcerSense agent are all gone, if still there stop those services and disable the Startup type in properties and Apply. If you still cannot charge to 100% reset BIOS with F9 in BIOS and save changes on exit BIOS. Boot to Windows and uninstall these 2 battery drivers in Device manager and just reboot.

If still no results I recommend replacing the battery.

• Aleksey

Tinkerer

Options

I do not have the Acer software.

Could you tell what can be wrong in BIOS ?

I am afraid of removing that drivers - what happens when they are absent ?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,442 Trailblazer
    Options

If you aren't using the 80% maximum charge 'feature' in the Acer software (which they later removed), then the battery might just need calibration. They sometimes get confused and pass bad data to the OS. Run the laptop on battery until it shuts down due to low charge. Connect the charger and let it come up to a full charge before turning it back on, then repeat the cycle. Each repeat gets Windows a little closer to showing the correct time left. If that doesn't help, and you still can't get it charged enough to show a blue light, then likely the battery has gone bad. :(

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Puraw
    Options

Nothing will happen to your system if you uninstall those 2 Microsoft drivers, Windows will reinstall those automatically when you reboot, restoring BIOS with F9 is also a routine operation, it is good that you are careful changing your system settings but having no battery power for over 3 years and doing nothing to solve the problem is not good. Acer does this Full Charge Cycle procedure (often called "Calibration") when a new battery is installed but retailers/shops may forget, and you need to do it again after you reinstall Windows. Note, even if you no longer have Acer Care installed you may have used it in the past 3 years and the Acer services may still be present in the registry. Check the Windows Services if you see any accSVC or acer agent. If you don't want to do anything, consider bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to fix the battery charging problem.

• Aleksey

Tinkerer

Options

@Puraw @billsey

I worked on battery all the day, about 7 hours, at evening it hibernated itself and showed only the "battery critical low" picture and switched off when I attempted to start it.

It was connected to 220 V all the night with orange indicator glowing but in the morning the battery is still 4% so it did not charge at all.

Is it the problem inside the battery or somewhere else ?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,442 Trailblazer
    Options

That could easily be either the charger or the battery. In looking back over the thread, I don't see where you say which model you have. Acer has been making Swift 1 models for many years and there have been a lot of different ones. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like SF1xx-xxx-xxxx. Typically they come with 45W, 65W or 90W supplies, with round barrel connectors or USB-C. We need to know more before we can suggest something more targeted at your system. Do you have the tools to test the charger output? Are you still using the stock charger?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Aleksey

Tinkerer

Options

It is SF114-34-P4S8

I opened it, fully disconnected the battery, then connected, closed and switched on.

It started to charge the battery and reached 100% in about 2 hours.

Now I think it was related to connector because there was the additional adhesive tape on it.

The battery in fact is the flexible plastic bag with three firm batteries inside and this bag is fixed only at the sides and can bend in the middle - near the connector. So that adhesive tape seems like the funny attempt to persuade the battery to not dangle. :-)

The adhesive tape is very high quality and looks like very serious anti-vibration amulet.

I attached the photo