Acer Notebook computer casing top & bottom has cracked

christinecormick68
christinecormick68 Member Posts: 1 Newbie
edited June 25 in Swift and Spin Series

My Acer Notebook computer casing top & bottom has cracked on the left-hand side badly top & bottom & continues to expand whenever I have to open & close it. I have started to think maybe the battery is swelling & it's about to explode.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,011 Trailblazer

Disconnect the power adapter and open-up the back of the laptop to inspect the battery. If the battery is not swollen it may be the left hinge assembly that broke loose from the lid or motherboard and is pushing out the frame and bottom.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,522 Trailblazer

Most likely the issue is that the hinge on that side is pulling loose from the case. The screw mounts for the hinges are pretty weak, due to the 'thin and light' limitations in the design. If in warranty Acer will replace the case halves to fix the issue, until it happens again. If you are out of warranty you can fix it yourself with something like JB Weld Metal epoxy. You rebuild the screw mounts and set the hinge back in place.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.