Acer Spin CP715-2W-56B2. Wi-Fi not working properly, it randomly disconnects from the router.

Options
Chromiuml
Chromiuml Member Posts: 2 New User
edited 2:17AM in Swift and Spin Series

I've been struggling with my Chromebook and feel like I'm out of options for a solution. So hopefully someone here will have ideas!

When I first got my Spin 714, Wi-Fi worked fine. After about a month, the Wi-Fi started having issues.

Sometimes when I turn on my Chromebook, or when I'm using it, it randomly disconnects from the router. It then will cycle through trying to reconnect, will almost connect, and then something happens and it starts to cycle through reconnecting again. After some unknown number of attempts, it will successfully reconnect. This issue is unpredictable and frustrating.

When I use my phone as a hotspot, the laptop does not have this issue, so presumably, something is wrong between my router and either the software/hardware in the Chromebook.

To be clear — no other devices in the house are having issues connecting to my router (a Netgear Nighthawk AX4). Just the Chromebook. This leads me to believe the Chromebook is the problem, even if it does work with my phone's hotspot.

I've updated the routers firmware, I've updated the Chromebook. I've powerwashed the Chromebook and uninstalled almost all of the apps I had installed in case one of them was contributing to the issue.

At this point, it feels like this is an issue with my Chromebook, so I'm reluctant to go buy a new router to see if that fixes things.

I need my internet to work consistently for zoom meetings.

Any thoughts?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,387 Trailblazer
    Options

We need to know just which Spin 714 model you have to really give any help with the diagnosis. There have been a lot of them over the years… Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like CP715-xxx-xxxx. If you move the Chromebook close to the router, does it work better? My guess is when using the phone as a hotspot the phone is kept very close to the Chromebook and that might be the difference.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JCoastie
    JCoastie Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 27
    Options

I am having a similar issue with my 714. CP714-2W-56B2.

For about the last 3 weeks, I've been having WIFI issues, I am on the Stable OS Firmware channel, this has spanned several 125 releases and the 126 update.

Only occasionally does WIFI disconnect on its own, but it does happen. The bigger issue is reconnecting coming out of sleep. It may search for the known/preferred WIFI connection for 60 seconds before actually reconnecting. If I go to settings and toggle the wifi on/off, it reconnects almost immediately, it just doesn't do it quickly without toggling wifi on/off and there may be up to a 60 second connection delay coming out of sleep unless you intervene via wifi settings.

I am less than 10 feet from the router with no barriers between, no other devices have an issue and this is a fairly new issue to this specific chromebook.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,387 Trailblazer
    Options

As a new issue we can likely rule out hardware issues like a disconnected antenna. It's more likely that during those updates Google has tweaked the driver for the WLAN card. Your system has an Intel AX211 WiFi 6E card soldered to the motherboard, so it's not replaceable. The AX211 chips are pretty robust though. You might try asking on the Google community to see what they are saying.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Chromiuml
    Chromiuml Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hey! It's a CP715-2W-56B2.

I use my laptop within 3 feet of the router in my living room, so that isn't the issue unfortunately.