Aspire 7741G-386G75 "Critical Temperature Reached" just after Power ON

GuiBru
GuiBru Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 23 in Aspire Laptops

Hello
My PC is running Unbuntu 18 and recently, it was sometimes shutting down unexpectedly. The fan was turning.

Message displayed by ubuntu :

"thermal thermal_zone0 : critical temprature reached (92°C), shutting down"

I installed a sensor software and the monitored temperature was about 41/42°C before shutting down.

Now, it turn off after a fews seconds after power on, even when I disconnect the OS.

I disassembled and cleaned the machine.

I tried to check temperature (… or disable the critical temp (YOLO !)) in the BIOS but I don't have de power/temperature menu.

I read it's probably a BIOS update issue.

I would like to know how fix it since I only have 20 seconds of power to act !

Thank you

PICTURES :

• BIOS menus : where do you think it's possible to check the temp ?
  • Ubuntu start process, with shutdown information after 18 sec

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,522 Trailblazer

It seems you’re encountering an issue with your Jetson AGX Xavier running Ubuntu 18.04. The error message you mentioned might be related to insufficient memory. Let’s troubleshoot this:

Insufficient Memory Error:

If you’re running memory-intensive Python programs, it’s possible that your system is running out of memory. You can try the following steps:

Check your available memory using the free -h command.

Close any unnecessary applications or processes to free up memory.

Consider adding more RAM if needed.

Additionally, ensure that your Python program is optimized and doesn’t have memory leaks.

Thermal Zone Error:

The “thermal_zone0” error could be related to temperature monitoring. Thermal zones are regions on your hardware that are monitored for temperature changes.

Check if your Jetson AGX Xavier is overheating. High temperatures can trigger thermal warnings.

Verify that your cooling system (fans, heatsinks, etc.) is functioning properly.

You can explore the thermal zones using the cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/type command to see which zones are active1.

If you’re using custom cooling solutions, ensure they are correctly configured.

Kernel Modules and Drivers:

Make sure your kernel modules and drivers are up to date. Sometimes outdated or incompatible drivers can cause thermal issues.

Check if the “x86_package_temp” thermal zone is set correctly by the driver “x86_pkg_temperature_thermal” (if applicable)2.

For further advice on this thermal_zone0 error with Unbuntu 18 OS, consult their community forums as those shut off temps should not be reached on the Aspire 7741G-386G75 laptop with a normal windows OS that this laptop was designed for.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• GuiBru
    GuiBru Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited June 24

Thank you, I'll try it.

About the cooling system, it seems to be OK.

The copper beams are still cold (by touching) when the system shut down.

Does someone know how to check the BIOS CPU temp ?

• Cintiaxups
    Cintiaxups Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 24

Hello Acer Community 👋

I am a newbie on Acer and my question is this : can one still use a (never used) ACER ASPIRE V13 V3-371-380A laptop (purchased2014) to use for word processing only ? Would it still work with the current MS Windows version, or any other MS Word version currently in use ?

I am trying to set up, but cannot seem to get past this page as I cannot for the life of me remember the password, and nothing happens when I press "password reset"..

Thankyou big time for any assistance !

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive content]