Unable to access bios when SSD is inserted in Laptop model: Acer One 14 Z2-493

Abhaydev
Abhaydev Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited June 23 in Aspire Laptops

Issue with SSD after using drive partition manager - BIOS not accessible

I recently encountered an issue after using a drive partition wizard manager on Windows. The SSD has a total size of 239GB, with only 30GB of free space remaining in Windows. I attempted to free up 20GB for a new drive, but Windows Drive Manager wouldn't allow it due to VRAM and other allocations using the leftover space (invisible allocation). I used PartitionWizard MiniTool, which performed the shrinking while Windows wasn't running, requiring a reboot. After this reboot, my laptop only shows the Acer logo and won't progress further.

I tried powering off and on to access the BIOS, but none of the usual function keys worked. I couldn't access the BIOS at all. Suspecting the SSD (the default NVMe that came with the laptop) was the cause, I removed it. Without the SSD, the laptop accessed the BIOS just fine. So I thought of reinserting the ssd after the bios is opened when then SSD isn't present but, reinserting the SSD while in the BIOS didn't make the BIOS detect it.

I am currently stuck and need assistance. Is there a way to reset the SSD or make it detectable in the BIOS?

Laptop model: Acer One 14 Z2-493

I don't need to recover any files; I just want to access the BIOS and reinstall Windows, which requires the SSD to be detected in the BIOS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,011 Trailblazer
    edited June 23

The HDD (or NVMe SSD) won't stop you from booting to BIOS, you may have an issue with RAM or other hardware. I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset the system to factory default (OEM Windows11 23H2) for a small service fee.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 13,003 Trailblazer
    edited June 23

Hi @Abhaydev If the disk is not recognized in BIOS, it is a problem with the disk or its port, remove the disk, clean its contacts with an eraser and insert it again, making sure it is inserted correctly until the end.

Greetings.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • Abhaydev

Tinkerer

I did this, and tried it again, and I don't think it's an external SSD damage. As I said, the actual issue is that, when the ssd is inserted the bios won't load at all, it's stuck at the acer logo. But if I try again after removing the ssd, it seems to get me to the bios.

• Abhaydev

Tinkerer

I actually believed the same until now, I was really amazed to see the bios working when the ssd is not in and if i try turning on the system again with the ssd in, it's just stuck at acer logo.

• Abhaydev

Tinkerer

I used to believe the same, but I was really amazed to see that the bios just won't load (stuck at acer logo) when the ssd is in and as soon as I restart the system after taking off the ssd, it shows me the bios!

Now this is only bringing me to a conclusion that it's the ssd doing some wierd things.

And again remember? This whole issue occured when I tried to force partition (shrink) a drive which contained windows windows..

• Abhaydev

Tinkerer

My last resort would be to get this to a nearby service center, but if this can be fixed by myself then it'd be very much appreciated. (ps: I'm from a poor family and don't want to make my dad spend another amount just to fix this, I'm so greatful that I got it, and i terribly regret using the partition wizard 😞)

• Alejandro_AC

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you could access BIOS.
    I can only think of formatting the disk in another drive, but I imagine that is not an option because you would lose the content.

All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
  • Abhaydev

Tinkerer

Iam completely fine with loosing my data, cause I can download everything anytime I want. What do you mean by formatting the disk in "another drive"

Do I have to buy an nvme adapter and plug it into some other pc/laptop and format it? Is there any other way to do it?

• Alejandro_AC

Yes, I was referring to that, I don't know if there is another way to access the disk from your computer since it cannot be recognized.
    Perhaps, with an external USB box connected to another computer, the disk could be accessed, but I cannot be sure as I do not know the reason why it is not recognized, if the disk appeared as external on another computer, it is possible that it could be accessed. format.
    As the previous process involves the purchase of an external USB box for the SSD and there is no guarantee that the disk will be recognized by USB, the other alternative is to go to a technical service so that they can try to connect it to an external box and try , this should have a lower cost than purchasing an external box, I'm not sure, but everything can be discussed with technical service.

Greetings.