Latest BIOS for Acer Veriton M6618G. What's the latest BIOS for this system?

Options
Lost_Entrepreneur439
Lost_Entrepreneur439 Member Posts: 2 New User

I recently got an Acer Veriton M6618G for free from my school that was planning to throw it out, I like having the latest BIOS on my devices, and in this case it is necessary because I want to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge CPU, if possible, I have a spare one lying around. However, installing the CPU, I just get 4 beeps, I assume I need a BIOS update, however, due to Acer removing systems from their database after 10 years, I cannot get the BIOS directly from Acer. What's the latest BIOS for this system?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title and add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,451 Trailblazer
    Options

I don't think that you can upgrade the Veriton M6618G to an Intel 4th Gen cpu, as far as I know its only the Acer Veriton S6630g – Specs and upgrade options as Acer have stopped support for this desktop and all the drivers are available from a 3rd party drivers' site, btw and for what its worth, I use DriverUpdate and they have 3x bios versions for the Veriton M6618G desktop, the last is their version P01.A4 dated 08/30/2011 titled: bios_acer_p01.a4_a_a.zip which I don't know if its a bios updates for the Intel 4th Gen Ivy Bridge cpu as this desktop came oem with an Ivy Bridge 3rd Gen cpu.

If the above bios versions are not what you are looking for search the web for newer bios versions or imo its best if you ask Acer tech support in your country for advice and/or if they have a copy of the bios or if they can upgrade the bios for the Intel Ivy Bridge 4th Gen cpu to work on the Veriton M6618G desktop. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Lost_Entrepreneur439
    Lost_Entrepreneur439 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

This has several mistakes. One, I never mentioned anything about 4th gen. Two, 4th gen was never Ivy Bridge, 4th gen was Haswell. Three, I know a 4th gen CPU won't work in it, because 4th gen is socket 1150, 3rd gen is 1155 (what this system uses), and finally, four, unless my school downgraded it for some reason, this system did not come with an Ivy Bridge CPU, mine has an i5-2400 which is Sandy Bridge, a generation before Ivy Bridge.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,451 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, you are 100% correct, my mistake I got your question wrong. The Acer Veriton M6618G motherboard is compatible with Ivy Bridge CPUs, including 3rd generation Intel processors. However, it’s essential to verify the BIOS version and ensure it supports Ivy Bridge architecture, for that you will need to consult Acer tech support in your country and see if they have a copy of the bios version and/or if they can upgrade the bios to that version or try the bios versions above from that 3rd party drivers site that I've given you, but be very careful as those 3rd party sites not always have the correct bios files that they write that they are, so be careful. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,386 Trailblazer
    Options

Your system is designed around a Sandy Bridge chipset, and an Ivy Bridge will not work in it. You are pretty much stuck with 2nd gen… Acer never did a BIOS change to allow the newer processors, and didn't design in out of band upgrades. You can search the third party sites to find one that has the old BIOSes archived, but it won't help with the CPU upgrade.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.