My laptop screen is flickering Can I use Acer Spine SP513-51 headless?

Options
ASAAD
ASAAD Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 22 in Swift and Spin Series

Hello,

My laptop (Acer Spine SP513-51) screen become flickering and in my country there are no spare parts for this model right now, so I decide to use my laptop headless could be that?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,387 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sure, you can run it headless by using a remote access package to get in from a different system, or you can run using an external monitor and the builtin keyboard and mouse. Use a Windows-P to choose only the external monitor and the internal will shut off. Does the flickering change behavior at all when moving the screen? If so the issue could easily be the cable that runs between the motherboard and display. It's flexed each time you open, close or adjust the screen position. Over time those flexes and cause internal cracks on the wires. If that seems to be your issue it's not terribly difficult to fix. Here are the part numbers for that cable:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 333
    Options

Computer screen flickering refers to the rapid and intermittent flashing or blinking of the display. It is characterized by distorted or unstable visuals where the screen goes black or flashes rapidly, disrupting normal viewing. Flickering can occur in various forms, such as horizontal or vertical lines, rapid brightness changes, or random pixel flickering.

There may be several reasons for your laptop screen flickering:

Loose or damaged cable connection: A faulty cable connecting the screen to the motherboard may cause flickering.
    Outdated or incompatible drivers: If your computer’s display drivers are outdated or incompatible, it may lead to screen flickering issues.
    Faulty screen or hardware: A faulty screen or internal hardware component can also cause flickering.
    Overheating: Overheating the laptop can cause the screen flickering issue.
    Software issues: Some software or apps may cause some problems, leading to screen flickering.
    Incorrect refresh rate: An incorrect refresh rate setting may also result in a flickering screen issue.

You can start by checking your HDMI, Display-Port, or USB-C cables. Ensure that the cables are securely connected to both the monitor and the laptop. Make sure that the cable is fully tightened and it doesn’t look or feel loose. This applies to all cable types, which can become loose for various reasons. Plug in your system to an external monitor to check if the issue reoccurs. If the problem does not occur on the external display, it may be due to a hardware issue with the laptop’s screen.

Next is to make sure that the graphic card driver is update. Outdated drivers may cause incompatibility, leading to screen flickering problems. Regularly updating drivers ensures optimal performance and a flicker-free experience.

Follow these instructions to update drivers on your system.

Hit the Windows key and in the search box type Device Manager. Now, click on Open to launch it.

Double-click on the drivers, ensure that any drivers need any updates, and make a note of them.
    Now, go to the manufacturer’s website and download the driver that suits your system specifications. Intel or AMD or NVIDIA

The .exe files will be downloaded to your system. Execute the files by double-clicking on them to install them on your system.

Further if you have installed any new application then uninstalling recently installed apps will fix potential software conflicts or incompatibilities. These issues may arise due to poorly optimized apps, causing the display to malfunction.

Also to note overheating can cause hardware issues so, routinely check your laptop’s temperature to ensure it is not overheating. Make sure you clean any dust or debris from the vents and fans to improve airflow.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sure, you can run it headless by using a remote access package to get in from a different system, or you can run using an external monitor and the builtin keyboard and mouse. Use a Windows-P to choose only the external monitor and the internal will shut off. Does the flickering change behavior at all when moving the screen? If so the issue could easily be the cable that runs between the motherboard and display. It's flexed each time you open, close or adjust the screen position. Over time those flexes and cause internal cracks on the wires. If that seems to be your issue it's not terribly difficult to fix. Here are the part numbers for that cable:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ASAAD
    Options

Dear Billsey,

Actually my screen it's flickering rhythmically like this (flickering 3 sec - normal 3 sec - flickering 3 sec - normal 3 sec) without any movement for my screen when i connected to my external monitor via HDMI it dose not appear over the external monitor.

• billsey
    Options

That is weird, but points more toward software than hardware. Try booting in safe mode to see if it does it there. If so it's an OS issue and if not it's a third party app or driver.

• ASAAD
    Options

I booted in safe mode still I have the same issue :S
    As you said before I think it's a cable issue.