How to restore my Acer Aspire R11 to what is was when I purchased it?

Options
jgplarnold
jgplarnold Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I thought that this was as easy as selecting Factory Reset after researching the internet and youtube tutorials however I cannot find anywhere on the laptop to select 'restore to factory settings' and when I try a windows? reset after a wait it advises that there is not enough disk space. This laptop only has the 32GB ssd? drive and a check on the capacity displays that I only have about 1Gb of free space after uninstalling every program/app that I ever installed.

I thought that there was a partition containing everything required to set up the laptop.

I also am wondering if I removed that partition in the past trying to obtain more free space.

I want to give the laptop to someone and prefer it to be in the same state that it was when I purchased it new many years ago.

How do I check that the partition still exists and contains the folders/files it had when purchased?

Can I format C: drive and boot up with a usb stick containing relevant files and if so where do I obtain those files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,799 Trailblazer
    Options

2015 Windows10 notebook. Once you "Reset this PC" or reinstalled Windows you lost the original recovery volume created by Acer on the boot drive. Only the USB Recovery Disk that you made with your notebook right after purchase would still have that original recovery volume. I don't think that Acer Services in your country will have the 2015 OOBE apps and OEM OS for this model but you can ask.

• jgplarnold
    jgplarnold Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks Puraw,

It's a long time since I purchased the laptop and can't remember anything about creating a recovery volume on a usb memory stick.

The laptop has been quite a pain in the neck since I purchased it due to the 32GB drive which made me wished I had not purchased it fairly quickly. I find that now even though I have uninstalled everything I had installed including Word, a browser and a navigation app the free space now seems to be even less than what it was before I tried to restore it. I have also uninstalled some Windows apps!

Maybe I could reinstall W10 using a downloaded W10 stored on a usb stick? I would loose all the Acer stuff but that doesn't worry me.