ph16-72 Predator Helios Neo 16 keeps crashing! goes into the "blue screen of death" and restarts

ALirezaFruit
ALirezaFruit Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited June 20 in Predator Laptops

HI everyone. I have recently bought the ph16-72 (helios neo 16) laptop with i9-14900hx and rtx 4070 gpu. one thing that keeps happening constantly is the laptop crashes and goes into the "blue screen of death" and restarts. i noticed that this only happens in performance mode or turbo mode no matter i run a game or simply install something like visual studio. Can someone please help me and tell me what I'm supposed to do to fix this? is this a hardware issue or software? i have updated both windows and predator sense, it does NOT help. I rolled back the updates and still had the same problem. Please help me.

here a screenshot from bluscreenview:

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,993 Trailblazer

This error points to the graphics drivers being responsible for the BSOD. If you have recently updated the drivers possibly these newer ones are not working well on your system. Boot to Safe mode (Shift+Restart) and check if the system crashes with the Windows Base Video driver, if no issues in Safe Mode I recommend uninstalling the display drivers in Safe Mode with DDU and just reboot, Windows11 will install the latest Acer drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091878/graphics.html

• ALirezaFruit

Tinkerer

edited June 20

Will try it out, thank you very much.

Do you also happen to know why this happens only in performance/turbo mode?

Also, which graphics drivers should I uninstall? Integrated or Nvidia?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,993 Trailblazer

I would uninstall both, that will clean-up your driver repository. Temperature will be higher in Turbo boost and Performance Mode, maybe overheating?

• ALirezaFruit

Tinkerer

CPU reaches to 100 degrees Celsius, GPU was up to 80-90 degrees I guess. Are these temperatures considered overheating for this model?

• ALirezaFruit

Tinkerer

I dont think there is one individual app or driver that is the problem as I just got the BSOD two times and the errors were different than the first one. I guess there is a root problem. Do you have any ideas?

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 540

One of the most common errors your computer may experience is the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error. This error occurs when the operating system encounters a critical error that it cannot recover from. When this happens, the Windows crashes and displays a blue screen with an error message.

While Windows 11 has been designed to be more stable and reliable than previous versions, there is always a risk of encountering a BSOD error. Various reasons such as software conflicts, hardware issues, or corrupted system files can all cause your computer to bluescreen. Windows 11 includes new features to minimize the risk of BSOD errors, such as improved error handling and more robust memory management. If you encounter a blue screen, you can try the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue.

Restart your computer: Sometimes the BSOD is just a temporary glitch, and restarting your computer can resolve the issue.
    Check for updates: Make sure that your Windows 11 is up-to-date with the latest updates and patches. Microsoft often releases updates that address security issues and bugs that can cause BSOD.
    Run a virus scan: Use Windows Defender or your antivirus software to scan your system for any malware that may be causing the BSOD.
    Uninstall recently installed software or hardware: If you recently installed new software or hardware before the BSOD started to appear, try uninstalling it and see if the problem persists.
    Restore your operating system: If you are getting persistent BSODs and are unable to identify the root cause of the problem, you can try restoring your operating to factory settings. Make sure you choose the option to Keep My Files so you do not lose your information during this process.

• kim27x
    kim27x Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello, my Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 i5 13500HX RTX 4050, which I bought in July 2023, has been crashing and getting BSODs for the past two weeks. Could this be related to the Intel 13th/14th gen issue? The crashes started only 2 to 3 weeks ago.

My games don't crash when I play in Quiet mode or when the charger is unplugged, but as soon as I plug in the charger or switch to Balanced/Performance mode, the game crashes and sometimes causes a BSOD.